The Worlds Most Interesting Man, A Pipe Guy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I was told a pretty convincing account of how the man who stars on those Dos Equis commercials (and so many memes), is in fact an avid pipe smoker. Has anyone else heard of this and is there any evidence available to prove or disprove this? What a great podcast interview persona that would be, eh?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
He dries his tobacco on the sunkissed breasts of island virgins.
An Asian Yeti gifted him a tooth for a tamper.
His pipe holds ten pounds of Penzance that he lights with fire from an active volcano.
He is, the most interesting man in the world.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-05%20at%2011.34.31%20PM_zpsrhyl9ske.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't usually smoke a pipe, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis Black Twist.

Keep puffing my friends.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
He was also a garbage collector before being "discovered" as the most interesting man in the world. Double bonus points since he is a pipe smoker as well.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
He was also a garbage collector before being "discovered" as the most interesting man in the world. Double bonus points since he is a pipe smoker as well.
Michael
The story related to me was that his wife got him the audition since she was somehow connected to the ad agency or some such thing. She thought he had the face for it and the rest, as they say, is history.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
If you click on the link you will learn a lot about the interesting life of the most interesting man, but here is some tobacco related info:
Goldsmith is a natural around cigars, and cigars have found their way into the ads as well. The Most Interesting Man holds one in many of the spots, quite comfortably, like the smoking veteran that Goldsmith is. It pops up only in certain scenes, like the one where he's piloting a Zodiac at impressive speed through rough waters, a quartet of beauty pageant lovelies (in their evening gowns and tiaras, naturally) smiling and enjoying the ride just as much as he is.
He smoked cigarettes until 1963 when he played a cigarette smoker in the movie Act One. Goldsmith kept inhaling cigarettes down to the required length to make the scene right-it nearly killed him, and he quit. Four years later he took up cigars and never looked back.

Today, he smokes cigars along with his wife, often Dominicans, such as Arturo Fuente Hemingways, Auroras, Romeo y Julietas and a bargain brand called Villa Dominicana. Barbara likes small cigars, and puffs on little Al Capones. "I smoke a cigar every day of my life," he says. "If I have a rich lunch, then I have to have a cigar afterwards." He enjoys a Savinelli pipe as well, sometimes smoking a bowl filled with aromatic Captain Black after breakfast.
Goldsmith lives on a sailboat, docked 20 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, which allows him to smoke in cigar-unfriendly California. "Cocktail time, sunset, we have a cigar. I associate great cigars with the sea, the ocean. I like to sip the local rums and have a good cigar."
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/15578/p/3/

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
So it turns out he is a pretty interesting man after all. Thanks jackswilling for setting the record straight, I'll forward the link to the guy who related the story to me.

coraxsnag

Lurker
Feb 13, 2015
He dries his tobacco on the sunkissed breasts of island virgins.
An Asian Yeti gifted him a tooth for a tamper.
His pipe holds ten pounds of Penzance that he lights with fire from an active volcano.
He is, the most interesting man in the world.
Ooh! I want to play.
He can light his pipe with an unlit match, and finish without relighting.
His pipes tamp themselves.
When he orders his own blend, it instantly becomes a best seller.
Any tobacco he decides to cellar, instantly ages ten years.
He has never needed to use a pipe cleaner.
None of his pipes have ever been charred. Not even the cobs.
He is... The Most Interesting Man in the World.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
"I don't always smoke a pipe, but when I do, I have a hawk on my head."
hnMOA1s.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Funny that he's never made the cover of P&T magazine! C'mon Chuck, get us an interview with the MIMITW!

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Never heard of him. Is he a television personality?

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
@mrenglish & @settersbrace Not sure where the garbage collector story comes from unless it was about his short lived stint as a garbage man/construction worker back in the 1960's before launching his career. Since then he's actually a very accomplished stage actor, and the only red shirt in original Star Trek who didn't die in an episode. Here's his Wikipedia page:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.