The (Un)Official PipesMagazine Secret Santa Thread 2022!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Vauen Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
2 Fresh Il Duca Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
9 Fresh Savinelli Autograph Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Jacob74 : Those white cones are meerschaum pipe filters that act in a fashion not dissimilar to the silver Three Penny bit, silver button or tobacco plug. I have a set and providing they are a snug fit in the base of the bowl they will give you years of good service. I think they are made by one of the Turkish pipe makers. Anyway as we would say in the U.K you certainly were 'blinged up' nicely by Mr. Fudd!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I finally got to open the box. Struck with the sweet smell of cigars, vanilla, and a little bit of cherry. It is very pleasant.

Santa, you really outclassed me. I almost feel bad since I only threw in a couple of extras.

I was looking for adventure, and this assortment looks like an adventure. A wild variety, and nothing I've tried before.

I fear that I cannot consume this quantity. You've almost doubled my supply. I hope you don't mind I'll be sharing your generosity with friends on pipe/cigar nights.

Thank you Santa!

View attachment 186110
* Due to my poor camera skills: The un-readable bulk tobaccos are Lane Very Cherry and Sutliff Vanilla Custard.

Can't wait to see your reaction to what I sent you. Hope I "hit the mark". USPS pushed back another day View attachment 186109:rolleyes:
My man, there is no outclassing here (unless you truly sent your wide to hand deliver the package). It is very clear you did some research from the wonderful gifts I received and I can tell they came from the heart.

For example, you sent Five Brothers, which I enjoy on its own and to make a parfait when wanting to make another blend more stout.

Additionally, you provided a rope lighter that won't dry out. I've stated several times that I get frustrated with Zippo lighters since the fluid evaporates so soon.

Also included were a nice jar of Country Lawyer (which I wanted to try) and Outdoor Hiking (which will be my first burley flake).

However, my favorite gift is a handmade tamper from Minnesota. Simple yet efficient and straight from the heart.

I love thoughtful gifts and something homemade is extra special. Thank you and Happy Holidays. May your smoke be heavy and your worries be light.

20221209_192814.jpg

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
My man, there is no outclassing here (unless you truly sent your wide to hand deliver the package). It is very clear you did some research from the wonderful gifts I received and I can tell they came from the heart.

For example, you sent Five Brothers, which I enjoy on its own and to make a parfait when wanting to make another blend more stout.

Additionally, you provided a rope lighter that won't dry out. I've stated several times that I get frustrated with Zippo lighters since the fluid evaporates so soon.

Also included were a nice jar of Country Lawyer (which I wanted to try) and Outdoor Hiking (which will be my first burley flake).

However, my favorite gift is a handmade tamper from Minnesota. Simple yet efficient and straight from the heart.

I love thoughtful gifts and something homemade is extra special. Thank you and Happy Holidays. May your smoke be heavy and your worries be light.

View attachment 186337
Haha! Grew it in my own backyard! I was a little hesitant to send my homemade pipe tool. It isn’t “classy”, but it sits in the pocket like a pen and I don’t worry about it scuffing the rest of the contents of the pocket like metal tools can. Glad you don’t mind it is a little used 😅

When you get to it, you have to let me know what you think of the outdoor flake. Took a risk there but I think it should suit your taste preferences.

The Five Brothers is there just in case the others are a bust 😆.

Hope you enjoy it all!

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana

View attachment 186337
I have not heard of a rope lighter before, so I read up on it, sounds amazing and no-fuss. Have you had success lighting your pipe with a rope lighter? Thanks!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I have not heard of a rope lighter before, so I read up on it, sounds amazing and no-fuss. Have you had success lighting your pipe with a rope lighter? Thanks!
I need to read up a little more on the rope lighter (also known as a trench lighter). @aspiring_sage was kind enough to provide some tips in the thoughtful Christmas card he sent.

From what I gather, the rope lighter is primarily used in windy conditions and was common with sailors and soldiers. Once I play around with the lighter, I may create a new thread. Regardless, it is a neat accessory I am happy to have in my possession.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I wouldn’t say it is totally no-fuss, but northern forest dwelling firebugs know:
  • fluff up the cotton rope end so it takes the spark and you get a small ember
  • Ember + cotton rope + airflow = bigger hotter ember
Transfer some of that heat to the bowl and you’re off to the races!

It doesn’t seem to be any clear instructions on the net. I’ve been thinking about making a video actually lighting a pipe, but haven’t done it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.