PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
12 was the stardard age at which girls were considered to jump the border between childhood and womanhood. Boys, about a year later. Basically, once you were out of elementary school, you were no longer a child.

Right. Just because 12 year olds were once "considered" adults didn't make it any truer then than it is now. When was the last time you actually spoke to a 12 year old?

I'm not looking for an argument, olkofri. I genuinely do like you. There's just more to adulthood than base sexual maturity, like, you know- brain development and agency.

Reactions: danimalia

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hard to argue against a whole foods plant based diet when it comes to health. Although cutting out meat entirely is not necessary to achieve the same results. It just needs to be used as PART of SOME meals and not THE meal(s). A FEW oz of meat a FEW times a week is just fine to flavor a dish or as PART of a larger meal. 16oz of meat every day will kill you in a heartbeat (or lack thereof).

Really food is like any drug. You should be aware of the risks going in and make an informed decision. More exposure = More risk, and you have the right to ingest as much or as little of any particular option as you want, and be prepared to suffer the consequences to varying degrees by individual.
for me it's more the process of the animals and the fact it's killing our planet.
have you seen the Amazon burn? Why was that?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
And, I would add...it's very relevant to the discussion at hand, because the propaganda against meat is a key aspect of this same overall BS fake science that she is being exploited to propagate.
It's not propaganda.. you are supremely ignorant, my friend.

Which Doctorate of Science do you hold?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
for me it's more the process of the animals and the fact it's killing our planet.
have you seen the Amazon burn? Why was that?

In my opinion (and clearly yours) there is certainly something to be said for agriculture's impact on our climate (which is part of why all of my meat, with the exception of the occasional chicken, is sustainably harvested in the woods). However, with this statement you have opened the door for a political debate regarding climate change in general that could shut this thread down in a hurry, so If we are enjoying the conversation I would suggest steering away from that.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
^^ it's not an "abandoned area" it was caused by clear cutting the forests for Animal Agriculture.

good point.. back to the OP ;)

someone took this to the political end well before this comment, however.

Swine are smarter than a 3 year old child.. does that make it OK to eat children under 3?

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Well... I'm Keto, and I own a Peloton!

Had it for about 1 1/2 years now. Ride it all the time. I'm on a 80 week streak now. I'm heavy over the holidays. This morning I was at 216 pounds. I'm 6'3" and usually stay between 207 and 212. I'll drop the extra weight by Christmas.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Right. Just because 12 year olds were once "considered" adults didn't make it any truer then than it is now. When was the last time you actually spoke to a 12 year old?

I'm not looking for an argument, olkofri. I genuinely do like you. There's just more to adulthood than base sexual maturity, like, you know- brain development and agency.
I'm not looking to argue either, Supperthyme, leastways not with you: the liking is mutual.

Full disclosure: I'm not comfortable around children. Yet, they seem to feel comfortable with me. Go figure. Maybe it's because I address them like adults, never change my voice to something sappy, and I never ever whatsoever tell them 'how tall you've grown!!" Truth is, children wanna be grown-ups! One of the quickest ways to rile me up real serious when I was in my one-digit years was to call me a child (even though I was obviously one).

Yes. There's more to adulthood than just being able to procreate. And that's precisely my preoccupation with current people: by treating them like children we are stunting their pychological and spiritual growth. On one hand, you have parents kicking their children out of the house as soon as they finish high school with the argument that they need to learn to look after themselves, become independent; yet, on the other hand you have the same parents driving their children to perpetual infantilism by their own immature approach to parenting. This has created no small nor few problems in to-day's milieu: young adults who can't own up to their mistakes, who can't hold a job, who can't relate properly to others, who can't be responsible, who can't deal with relationships, who think nothing is for keeps, who feel entitled... and the list goes on.

I'm not trying to be a pharisee here, pointing out others' shortcomings to make myself feel good. Trust me, I'm genuinely worried. I care about my country, my society, and my fellow citizens. I see these attitudes are not doing them any good and much harm; ergo I speak.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
It's not propaganda.. you are supremely ignorant, my friend.

Which Doctorate of Science do you hold?

I have a doctorate. Going through the university system does not make anyone an expert on anything.

Wouldn't you? Invasive species have to be dealt with or they will deplete the resources for everything else......

We are literally the only species on the planet that can care for or otherwise manage our environment. All others will reproduce until they exceed maximum capacity, and the only reason they don't is because of Darwinian-style limitations on population growth.

Reactions: brian64

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have a doctorate. Going through the university system does not make anyone an expert on anything.

We are literally the only species on the planet that can care for or otherwise manage our environment. All others will reproduce until they exceed maximum capacity, and the only reason they don't is because of Darwinian-style limitations on population growth.
No, it surely doesn't. I'm simply calling out the ignorance spewed forth.

The problem with our species is that we have inherently removed the Darwinian limitations.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
We are literally the only species on the planet that can care for or otherwise manage our environment.
Sure we can.............are we actually doing it though? A debate for a different forum, so I'll leave it at that.

All others will reproduce until they exceed maximum capacity

Are we not currently doing exactly this?

Annual-World-Population-since-10-thousand-BCE-for-OWID.png

Status
Not open for further replies.