PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I recently ordered a tin of Wise Fox from pipesandcigars, and since I've not even smoked a pipe for a year yet, and because I know I can't give a super awesome review like some here can, I'm just going to tell you what I thought of it.
When I first opened the tin I gave it a good whiff, because hey that stuff smells great. A blend of cavendish, burley, and latakia, in my opinion the tin note is lovely. I couldn't wait to load a pipe and smoke it... so I did... and good god I think it was nearly awful.I wanted to sandpaper my tongue and drink boiling water. I don't understand it. Well it couldn't have been as awful as I initially thought, because I did smoke the rest of that bowl. I think I was trying too hard to compare it with Black House (which I love very much), the only other blend I've smoked with latakia.
So of course I smoked another bowl later that same day. Yeah, it definitely wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be. After all, if was was, I'd have never finished that first bowl. I may have puffed a bit heavy on that first bowl(with no tongue bite by the way), so I took it a bit slower. It was growing on me... I just didn't want to admit it. I thought I'd let it rest awhile before trying a third bowl. The next day I would smoke some Black House or perhaps an aro such as Bull Run, both of which came in the same order.
I just had to try a third bowl the next day. Other blends would have to wait. Because to be completely honest, the stuff is pretty dang good. I think I liked it from the first bowl. I just didn't want to admit it. I won't say it's going to replace Black House as my favorite. No, I don't see anything taking over that spot. I fell in love with Black House at first light. But it is good and I will order more. Right now I'm trying to make up my mind to order more Wise Fox or try another of The Smoker blends. I may do both.
I can't give an awesome review like others here, but at least I can say if your a rather new piper like myself and want to try a latakia blend, give this one a try.
As a side note. I had a hard time keeping the first bowl lit. It may have been a packing error as it didn't seem too awfully moist. But I let it dry a while before packing the second and third bowls. It seemed to smoke cool and I did enjoy the flavor... especially the third time :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, that's one I hadn't heard of before. Thanks for the heads-up, anthony.

Jan 8, 2013
You're welcome guys. They have quite a few blends at Pipesandcigars.com, many of them containing latakia. So I would assume a latakia lover may want to check some of them out. I have my eye on a few, and even the aromatic Civil War sounds interesting to me(but then I like aros too). I'll definitely let you know what I think of any others I try. My next purchase will definitely include another tin of Wise Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.