PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I recently bought an English blend that I read about and have been very pleased with it except for one thing. While it is quite tasty it burns like a house a fire. I can't seem to get more than 10 minutes out of a pipe. Usually I do much better.

I tried a couple of tricks I know the try to make it burn slower, but with no luck. So, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Maybe some of you know something I don't. (hard as that is to believe, nnnn ) and would be willing to share your knowledge. puffy

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I smoke a lot of raw leaf and I guess that's as "English" as it can be. Yeah, the untreated/unsauced tobaccos burn fast and don't stay lit all that well, it depends more on the way the tobacco is cut at that point.
At least that's my experience.
But you can also pack it tighter and fit in more leaf. I can get about 40 minutes out of a raw leaf bowl, if it is cut properly.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried adjusting the moisture and tighter pack but no luck. I even dried some out for a couple of weeks to see if that would break down any additives causing the problem. Then I added some moisture and tried again. No luck.

I'm reluctant to say what blend it is as I don't want to discourage others from trying it... it is a nice smoke. Any other ideas are welcome, but I'm beginning to think it's just the nature of the stuff to burn fast. puffy

Reactions: chopper

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried adjusting the moisture and tighter pack but no luck. I even dried some out for a couple of weeks to see if that would break down any additives causing the problem. Then I added some moisture and tried again. No luck.

I'm reluctant to say what blend it is as I don't want to discourage others from trying it... it is a nice smoke. Any other ideas are welcome, but I'm beginning to think it's just the nature of the stuff to burn fast. puffy
So. You’re doing it all right, the tobacco doesn’t burn correctly, and you won’t tell anyone what it is for fear of causing a depression in the market.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Blending - Maryland is a tobacco that is similar in flavor to white Burley - soft and somewhat neutral, but what makes it remarkable is how it burns. It stays lit easily but burns fairly cool. If you have a blend burns hot and/or fast, adding some Maryland can rectify the problem while not affecting the flavor all that much.

Funny I wonder how fast Consummate Gentleman would burn if it weren't for the Maryland in it , cause it has Maryland and is the fastest burning english I smoke. But at any rate if this quick burning mystery does not have Maryland in it already maybe mix in a pinch and see if it absorbs and cools and slows rather than ruins the smoke...

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Yeah, I’m with ember on either adding moisture or packing tighter. One major reason I switched over from cigars to pipes was the issue of time: Pipes allow me to fill the bowel to the amount of time that I have available (or finish later without the bitter taste assoc with cigars). For cigars, I always had to have at least an hour to enjoy it

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Blending - Maryland is a tobacco that is similar in flavor to white Burley - soft and somewhat neutral, but what makes it remarkable is how it burns. It stays lit easily but burns fairly cool. If you have a blend burns hot and/or fast, adding some Maryland can rectify the problem while not affecting the flavor all that much.

Funny I wonder how fast Consummate Gentleman would burn if it weren't for the Maryland in it , cause it has Maryland and is the fastest burning english I smoke. But at any rate if this quick burning mystery does not have Maryland in it already maybe mix in a pinch and see if it absorbs and cools and slows rather than ruins the smoke...
My only tin of Consummate Gentleman left a lasting impression. It was the first English blend that I really enjoyed straight from the tin. [At the time Latakia was new to me]

Adding a slower burning tobacco that would not alter the taste too much came to mind also.
From my stash I'd choose a mild pressed Va like MacBaren Virginia #1 but Maryland sounds like a much better option.
Considering that Maryland is "somewhat neutral", I presume that there's no such thing as a Maryland Flake.
With that in mind, if it's worth the effort, @Searock Fan you could consider pressing some Maryland leaf yourself before adding it to your 'secret' blend?

Reactions: vosBghos