PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Classic radio at it's best. I listen to the Radio Classics channel on Sirius every day. Those shows are always fun to listen to. I'm sure you'll enjoy the series.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hope you get to hear the episode The Shadow Challenged. Not only is it one of the best shows, but the villain was played by Frank Readick, who had been The Shadow before Orson Welles (Bill Johnstone, who followed Welles in the role, played the Shadow in this episode). In the Welles' shows, the opening and closing signatures are by Readick, not Welles, because Readick did the Shadow laugh better, and had a creepier voice.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
@mcitinner1 do you have a recommended source for picking up that kind of media or just go through places like amazon?

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
@mcitinner1, My most favorite of old radio serials - I think the Shadow could put Batman in his place. Even liked the movie adaptation.
How about old film serials, I'm pretty partial to Rocketman...even used to have the whole collection of them on VHS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9BZiWF6WNA

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Beast I found them on ebay. Jiminks would be the man to ask on this subject. I was wondering if there isn't some source of free old radio shows myself.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's the best place to get free OTR. It's free to join and download, but there is a strict, enforced limit to how much you can download each month: http://otrrlibrary.org/index.html Most of the known existing Shadow episodes are here.
Free, no limits: https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio
These two sites have the most shows. There are other sites, too, of course.
Caveat: the majority of these shows are not remastered, so you'll find some with bad sound, especially some of the 1930s Sherlock Holmes shows. You will find the occasional show that has sped up sound or crosstalk or low levels of sound. There's a show now and then that does not exist in its entirety because that's all that exists. But, you sure can't beat the price.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
There is always The Big Broadcast on NPR. As far as I can remember, they haven't played The Shadow in a long time, but they regularly have other classics like Gunsmoke and Jack Benny.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Thanks for the links guys. By the time I was old enough to pay attention to more than a TV cartoon my Mom would put OTR on when she could. It's all about the nostalgia, I guess.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
This thread will be deleted if any one utters anything about that 1990's Alec Baldwin abomination.
I kid! I kid! :nana:
Seriously though, radio dramas in general (even the current BBC ones) are so great. It's like listening to an audiobook but with actors playing the roles rather than a narrator. Don't get me wrong. Some audiobook series have some really talented narrators who can do different voices which really bring the characters to life (Patrick Tull reading the Aubrey/Maturin or Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian springs to mind) but IMO they can't hold a candle to a well-produced radio drama.
-Jason

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
htsg0y.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.