PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So, what's the next step for the water flush camp? Maybe dressing in white button-down shirts, ties and black pants with little name tags saying "Elder *insert forum name*" and going door to door to spread the good news of water flushing? Refusing to leave until we acknowledge the greatness of our lord and savior the water flush?

I get it. You like water flushing. That's cool.
I don't. That should be cool too.
Now please give it a rest.

Before you start in on me and this post, look at the title and ask yourself if it was necessary. Then ask yourself why it's necessary to try and convince everyone do water flushing.
So as you suggested, I looked at the post and would agree that it wasn't "necessary".

But the vast majority of posts here aren't necessary. They're voluntary expressions of the interests, enthusiasms, passions, and occasional silliness of the membership.

The OP discovered something new to him and expressed enthusiasm for it. OMG! It's the end of Rico! The sky is falling! The OP should be summarily executed for expressing his enthusiasm.

What are you so freaked out about?

You want to use alcohol, urine or hydrochloric acid to clean your pipes, rock on. Nobody cares what you do. Nobody cares what I do.

Nobody is going to steal into your home in the dead of night and water clean your pipe collection.

People will discuss what they want to discuss, whether you, or I, or Manny Moe and Jack wish they wouldn't or disagree with them. That's the nature of a forum.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
See? Now every time you all flush your pipes, you'll thinking of these videos! rotf

I lived in Korea for 4 years and almost everyone there uses those bidets. In fact it is very hygienic. While living there, I bought some and sent to my family, they all liked it. I also have one in my house. On the other hand, I am still running a pipe cleaner through my stems and bowls.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So, what's the next step for the water flush camp? Maybe dressing in white button-down shirts, ties and black pants with little name tags saying "Elder *insert forum name*" and going door to door to spread the good news of water flushing? Refusing to leave until we acknowledge the greatness of our lord and savior the water flush?

Before you start in on me and this post, look at the title and ask yourself if it was necessary. Then ask yourself why it's necessary to try and convince everyone do water flushing.
bdw

Reactions: stokesdale

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019

What’s wrong with white button down shirts, black pants and little name tags? Now NOT water flushing, that’s heathen talk!!! ??

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL

Wow, triggered much? Guess I better be SOOO careful about how I word thread titles or someone might get offended...

No one is trying to change how you clean your pipe, and IT IS cool that you clean it the way you like. You mistook my exuberance for religious fervor somehow. I like it when folks share things that I don't know about, and in turn I like to share things that have been useful to me in case someone cares. You obviously do not and I am perfectly fine with that. This post is for the people who do care, so if you don't like it then scroll on.

Reactions: paulfg and Casual

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've been cleaning my pipes (though not the vulcanite stems) hot water. It gets rid of a lot of gunk. But 2 caveats:

1. Two of my Stanwells - a Legend and a Sixtus - had water soluble stains. The stains washed out somewhat. I could tell because the stains showed up on the paper towels I used to dry the stummels. I didn't mind as the stains washed out evenly and there was a residual that didn't wash out. I.e., the pipes remained stained, just a bit lighter now. Don't run hot water on your Stanwells if this will bother you.

2. Water doesn't get rid of everything. Even after a healthy scrubbing with a shank brush and hot water, a pipe cleaner soaked in isopropyl alcohol will still come out of a well used shank discolored. This was true of my Brebbia First that I hot water cleaned for the first time just last night after maybe 10 years of use (and prior alcohol only cleaning). I'll still use alcohol on a dirty pipe, after an initial hot water scrub.

One reason I bought into the hot water wash is that while playing around trying to carve my own briar pipe, I learned that briar doesn't absorb water. I think there's a carver on some forum somewhere that soaked a block and then cut it apart to prove the point. I figure if that's the case, why not just wash the stummel with water?

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Goodness gracious, my oh my, the level of fear, loathing, and panic expressed by some here over the thought of using warm or hot water to clean out a pipe is astonishing. It's not like anyone is suggesting anything as unsupportable or purely idiotic as, say, the earth is round.

I'm getting my popcorn out for the inevitable "dishwasher cleaning method" discussion....

Aug 1, 2012
Wow, triggered much? Guess I better be SOOO careful about how I word thread titles or someone might get offended...

No one is trying to change how you clean your pipe, and IT IS cool that you clean it the way you like. You mistook my exuberance for religious fervor somehow. I like it when folks share things that I don't know about, and in turn I like to share things that have been useful to me in case someone cares. You obviously do not and I am perfectly fine with that. This post is for the people who do care, so if you don't like it then scroll on.
So as you suggested, I looked at the post and would agree that it wasn't "necessary".

But the vast majority of posts here aren't necessary. They're voluntary expressions of the interests, enthusiasms, passions, and occasional silliness of the membership.

The OP discovered something new to him and expressed enthusiasm for it. OMG! It's the end of Rico! The sky is falling! The OP should be summarily executed for expressing his enthusiasm.

What are you so freaked out about?

You want to use alcohol, urine or hydrochloric acid to clean your pipes, rock on. Nobody cares what you do. Nobody cares what I do.

Nobody is going to steal into your home in the dead of night and water clean your pipe collection.

People will discuss what they want to discuss, whether you, or I, or Manny Moe and Jack wish they wouldn't or disagree with them. That's the nature of a forum.
I am truly glad that I can make you two feel superior to someone. It helps to talk down to the uninformed morons like me. The tone of your responses show this quite clearly. This is the second condescending post from Sable so I'm glad that he can take a break from being his usual helpful self and feel good about himself instead. My good deed for the day is done.

I will continue to enjoy doing things the "incorrect" way according to you two. I will also continue to provide my services as someone who can be looked down on. I know that when I make a blatantly ironic post that most will not understand it as such or read to the part where I usually write something like "do what you like but get off my lawn."

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah I'm definitely not planning on doing the water flush method after every smoke, that's overkill for sure.

I do it after every smoke. I generally queue up the pipes smoked during the day and clean them all at once before going to bed. The water isn't like alcohol, it won't break down a large builds up of crud so I like to keep up with it. All I can say is it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.