PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Saw a Rattray prince "hail to the king" pipe on eBay, but know nothing about this manufacturer. The pipe seems a solid ly made prince.Any thought, fellows?

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have always been aesthetically very attracted to Rattray pipes. I like the way they look and I even like the way they are named. I don't own one yet. I do recall that in the past there was a general consensus that they were overpriced. At least when they are new. An estate buy might be the perfect time to obtain one.
Is it a shape 46? I like those.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Rattray's is a good company, both for pipes and tobacco. And Bonehed, you're right, the pipes are made in the BC factory...

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I have one of the cheaper 9mm filter pipes - it's a stocky black billiard in the "Old Gowrie" line. It's a great little smoker, and certainly worth the money.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
There is a good looking Rattray listed over on the trade/sell forum.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/unsmoked-rattrays-chubby-jackey-terracotta-with-horn-1-18-16

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They are nice pipes. I have a Highland apple. I also think that they are over priced. I don't know how much they get on the used market but if you can get one for well under $100 then go for it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a Rattray's Craggy Root #60, about 3 years old, with the 9mm filter. The photo shows it when it was new. I have been smoking it nearly nearly every day for 3 years, so it is probably the most used of any pipe I have. I believe it to be a good pipe for the money, quite light in the clench, and a pleasant pipe to smoke. The finish has spotted in a few places, the smooth rim has a finish that burned off on the shank side in short order, and the stem developed a gap above the tenon. The triskellion decal has long since worn away.

1118F81D-A09A-461B-BCE2-F582C724C7E8_zpsc6ip5fbj.jpg

It's as good a pipe, might be a tad overpriced when new, but I have gotten my money's worth. It's certainly as good as a Savinelli, Peterson, or Stanwell in the same price range.

jackal44

Lurker
Feb 18, 2016
I have a Butchers Boy from Rattray's, and although I don't have a tonne of experience with pipes, it's a great smoker for me. The Butchers Boy came with two stems as well, and gives me options, although I rarely use the long stem on it.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
No longer a Scottish company, but the tradition continues in Germany. With that said my Rattray's pipes are my very favorites. Looking at yet another one today -- a Highland.
We don't get much talk about Rattray's here, so good to chime in: go for it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As noted, some are 9 mm, so take note when you are ordering. Some avoid filters, other gladly smoke with them, or without them or with adaptors. Just be sure you get what you intend. I liked the idea of their being a pipe from Scotland (weren't they?) but now everything goes to France and Italy, which are good pipe makers.

For what you get, I think that they are high for my own wallet. The Briary got in a dozen Rattray dublins with military stems when I first started visiting there, and they were about twice as much as the other factory mass produced pipes in the same vein. I passed on them, and went home and looked online at the other Rattray pipes and how high they were elsewhere. I returned the next day to the Briary to buy that pipe, and all of them were gone. The next batch were priced even higher and sold just as fast. I wish now that I had not of wavered on it. I learned quickly that if I don't buy it when I see it, I may never get another chance, and I also learned that sometimes some pipes just weren't meant to be.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I don't own one but I've been watching them (new) on Ebay. They're priced at about what a better grade Peterson or Savinelli would be and they do have some nice looking bulldogs, very traditional shapes. Those that own them seem pleased so it might be worth a look in the future. My problem is the "maybe" list is always bigger than the account that supports it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I own a Rattray Bulls & Dogs, Bulldog straight and I love it. Very aesthetically pleasing and smokes great. It will come with a place for a filter but I prefer my without the filter or the converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.