PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
“Don’t you have enough pipes? Why do you need another one?” Don't you hate hearing that question? G.L. Pease has the answer in his February column for PipesMagazine.com. Check it out right here.

Passionalization

Excellent article... got me thinking. I am in the middle of a "purge" right now and thinning the herd quite a bit. We will see how soon the regrets start coming LOL.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@glpease what shape was the one the old guard didn't like? I mean you don't have to answer the question, but you will have to sit with the fact that all of us will be distracted by pondering what shape it was. Not a thing to ponder on the highway or working around big machines or sharp objects. ;)
Seriously though you should at least know that my brain is going to be stuck on this unanswerable question for a while.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I used to love collecting pipes, and still do to a point. When I first got into pipe smoking 13 years ago, I thought it was better to have a lot of pipes as opposed to a few high-quality pipes. Over the years I've culled the herd down a fair amount, and I'm currently doing it again. Like Chasing Embers said, you find yourself only smoking a few, and the rest become clutter.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I used to love collecting pipes, and still do to a point. When I first got into pipe smoking 13 years ago, I thought it was better to have a lot of pipes as opposed to a few high-quality pipes. Over the years I've culled the herd down a fair amount, and I'm currently doing it again. Like Chasing Embers said, you find yourself only smoking a few, and the rest become clutter.
I'm probably going to knock mine down to nothing but Weavers, Everetts, Alis, and Kenans.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve built a beautiful 7-Day-Set of GBD, BBB that if I only owned these I’d be very satisfied. None are expensive, but all stunningly grained.

Then there’s the issue of my Old Factory Stanwells and Royal Danish pipes…

The collection of Sandblast pipes including Dunhill, Parker, Stanwell, Savinelli and others…

Then there’s…

It’s true. I do find myself still smoking my old baskets more. No name pipes that are just comfortable.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
The problem with having so many pipes (if we can call it a problem) is that you can't smoke them all with the right frequency. A pipe that has not been used for months will not perform as well as one smoked almost every day.

...and with this I think I have convinced you :ROFLMAO:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My opinion is I have to smoke a pipe. What I mean is if it isn't in the regular rotation it has to be a special occasion pipe of it gets sold of gifted. It can be one that fits a specific niche for example a pub pipe for long smoke or my tiny pipe for when I don't have time or to enjoy semois or one that is too special to get out on the daily or weekly. I love how civilians say wow that's a lot of pipes and pipe smokers say that's a fair start.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sorry to hear about your hands buddy. 🙏I know you hate the driving to the post office. But, you should try a box them up and send them off to Steve or even SP…get a some 💰 for maybe some more 🧩s , 🍔s, or something ? ☕
Money just isn't a big concern and the returns really aren't profitable enough for the effort. Once I lose interest in a pipe it just isn't worth the pain and effort to package and ship them.