Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Personally turned off by the tin art -- one of the classic Victorian depictions of Krampus would have suited me better -- but if this is similar to the leaf used in Cringle Flake then it may be some of the better Red available today.
I agree. The tin art is a bit much. Seems to be the direction they’re going with it though. Phantom Privateer’s tin was interesting as well.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Well someone at Sutliff is moody, everything is "dark side" this year... and I'm all about it. Maple Shadows is like, EXACTLY my kind of aro, and billed as the dark side of burley what with the Kentucky. Now we're getting the dark side of VA.

I much prefer my VA stoved. I might pick up a tin of this, still on the fence about 2023 Cringle Flake though.

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I don't mind the tin art, but it's all about what's in the tin and I love a good red Virginia! I will grab a tin or two of this one.

Reactions: Egg Shen

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Personally turned off by the tin art -- one of the classic Victorian depictions of Krampus would have suited me better -- but if this is similar to the leaf used in Cringle Flake then it may be some of the better Red available today.
Yeah I was bummed out by the direction of tin art happening after the Crumble Cake series with that simple classy red black and gold, all that pipe force stuff, ugh. Seems they are going for some kind of like "new hip" thing and missing the mark by a mile. Feel like this kind of art works for C&D/McClelland type tins but it looks weird on a puck type tin, aesthetics matter. I guess they say never judge a book by it's cover but that's what removable dust jackets are for, couldn't see myself buying this stuff , my loss if it's good, we all have our standards.

Last edited: