PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Highlandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2023
Clynder, Argyll & Bute, G84 0QX
Big fan of your show and listen every week from Scotland but need to declare I am a latakia fan, sorry. Anyway wanted to share a moment I shared last night with my son. Too often we tribalise nicotine/tobacco use ( pipe , obviously the best, / cigars / cigarettes/ Vapes). However when I went outside for my evening bowl last night my 21yr old son, home from university, joined me with his vape. We spent an hour in the setting sun enjoying our own preferred delivery method sharing the happiness of nicotine and just chewing the fat, a scottish term for sharing thoughts and general chat. Not sure you monitor this messages but thx for all you do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Chewing the fat" was one of my dad's trademark expressions, denoting some of his Scottish heritage. I never knew how Scottish he was until I encountered the guards at Edinburgh Castle, and their stern forward presence combined with their gracious solicitous welcoming of children. That's my old man. I wasn't the culprit, but I will say, don't leave unattended bags on the floor at the Castle.

Pappy owned only one pipe at a time, smoked only Granger, and only from the foil pouch. He started smoking at about 15, smoked all day everyday, from just after breakfast until bedtime with time out for meals. He quit cold turkey to take a job at a non-smoking campus at age 65. He was active and busy on into his 90th year and passed on licensed to drive without glasses.

I inherited his thrift and independence, followed him into the U.S. Navy minesweeper fleet, though I was enlisted and he became an officer and the skipper during WWII, smoking his Granger right along. I didn't smoke a pipe until well into my thirties, but here I am.

Welcome aboard from central North Carolina, U.S.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Just comment on the post by the admin about the weekly PMag show. Brian reads all those comments. Here is the most recent one:

Reactions: BCF

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
The phrase used here is "shooting the breeze". But heard "chewing the fat" often enough. Best be from the highland cattle hustlers. Yapping is another term if the subjects involved in conversations are assholes.

Reactions: BCF and JOHN72