PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Looking at new Dr. Grabow pipes on line, I see a dearth of specific information and, often, what information there is contradicts. One site will say a Savoy has a vulcanite stem, another assures me it is plastic. Weights, measurements, when available, are often obviously wrong (with chamber depths greater than bowl heights, etc). What's the difference between an Omega and a Full Bent or Savoy? The answer is often far from clear. But one retailer says the Omega has a military mount. A true military mount? There are debates about that. I watch a youtube vid, and a guy shows off his new omega--and he shows that it is actually a "system" pipe--something I've not seen mentioned anywhere. I know from posts I've read here that Royaltons are often preferred for their acrylic stems, and I believe it, despite the fact that some sellers list them as plastic.

The official Dr. Grabow site tells me little. Maybe there's a trick to navigating it that I don't know yet. I'm browsing the Dr. Grabow Collectors Forums, but the focus seems to mainly on vintage Grabows, though I'm still wandering through their posts on modern Grabows.

I know I can write to Dr. Grabow, or to the WV Smoke Shop, with specific questions, but I'm still at the browsing stage. I'm just trying to understand the options.

Are there any experts out there on modern Dr. Grabow pipes who can give me guidance?
Thanks.

Reactions: Piping Abe

Piping Abe

Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
What do you want to know?

The best way to get a specific pipe is through mail order. I have the forms I can email you. It is also usually cheaper than buying through a website.

All the dimensions aren’t gonna be specific but generally they’ll be around the same, depending on shape.

All Grabows now made are ABS Plastic stems, soft and comfortable and wear grooves easily, which allows an easy clench. No oxidation either. I love them. Except the Royalton Line is Acrylic.

The Omega is not a system pipe. It has no well. Just a P-Lip shaped Button and the hole is drilled not on top, but dead center like a standard stemmed pipe.

All Modern Grabows are 6mm Filter pipes. They still make adjustomatic pipes as well that accomadate a 6mm filter

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll try and help you out.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Thanks so much for the information and the offer of help. What I want to know is if there is a reliable catalog of what Dr. Grabow sells nowadays, including measurements, weights, bowl dimensions, and features of each pipe. The answer seems to be no, but if there is one, I’d love to find it.

It’s great to hear a positive review of the plastic stems! I’ve been wondering about those.

Reactions: Piping Abe