The Most Disappointing Tobacco

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Some tobaccos have definitely left me disappointed, especially if I was expecting something else or more. Some blends change with time. Some, the rep of the tobacco has totally turned me off, and I am in the process of dumping their products from my cellar into the garbage.

But, ultimately expectations, personal tastes, and even changing palates lend a subjective slant to all tobaccos. In growing my own, I have changed my palate more towards pure tobaccos, which is very limited in selection. I will still try to smoke some of the other stuff, but will tend to grab one of my own blends afterwards. I do wish all companies would try to put out at least one pure tobacco, but... then I wouldn't have a reason to grow my own, I guess.

But, come on guys. Someone hates something you like... so what? We have a few members that we can bank on to hate something that the majority like.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Maybe I'm not as familiar with the phrase "run of the mill" as I had thought, everyone seems to be misinterpreting what I've said.

I guess a useful analogy here can be: like it or hate it, calling a pineapple pizza "run of the mill" feels wrong to me because adding fruit to a pizza is not "run of the mill". Hence:

To take the example even further, I wouldn't consider any cube-cut English blends "run of the mill" because they're usually not cube-cut. Perhaps, that explains my original statement a little more...
Run of the mill simply means average or unexceptional. Going with your example of Hawaiian Pizza, your rationale immediately hits the iceberg, because almost all pizzas are covered with fruit. Tomato is a fruit.

Hawaiian pizza may be exceptional because it is a distinct form, involving pineapple and ham. But since there is an interest in developing this particular branch of pizza (and there are sooo many branches of pizza, from region to region, from city to city and village to village) one might find very run of the mill versions of Hawaiian pizza, as some pizza makers are experimenting with different hams, cheeses and spices to work with the pineapple.

When I tried Penzance I found it to be very average. Granted, I don't factor in presentation, whether it's ribbon, cake, or flake. What I care about is flavor. That's my experience and I'm sticking iwth it. Your experience is yours. They're allowed to be different.

After m y first pipe show, I made a joke about a certain American Pipe Tobacco company that was giving out tons of aromatics in tins. I took a picture of the garbage cans overflowing with their tins, and went on to joke that men were even playing hacky sack with their tins in the parking lot. Needless to say this pissed off a lot of people on here. I thought it was a good joke. Just a joke.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
After m y first pipe show, I made a joke about a certain American Pipe Tobacco company that was giving out tons of aromatics in tins. I took a picture of the garbage cans overflowing with their tins, and went on to joke that men were even playing hacky sack with their tins in the parking lot. Needless to say this pissed off a lot of people on here. I thought it was a good joke. Just a joke.
That's funny. I've seen similar happenings throughout all of my hobbies with collectors.
Life's too short.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Bayou Morning has notes of burnt cigarette filters and toasted epoxy paint with a heady wet dog finish on the back end. The room note is akin to a smoldering spitoon fire with a faint wiff of boiled linseed oil.

Blend 11 is a complex mixture of scorched particle board and other organic material of unknown origins. It harkens back to the days when men were men and beating your wife was legal. It has a very kerosene forward flavor and the Always Save "Wiskey" Flavored Camp Fuel casing really shines through when the tobacco reaches the briar burning temperature which is usually within seconds of lighting up. Its at this point you can really taste the tannerite and the used motor oil topping is ever present. The room note is irrelevant as those around you will flee for their own safety in fear of being consumed by the ensuing conflagration taking place inches from your face. It burns to fine white ash, your pipe not the tobacco, and leaves few survivors.

JEdwards

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2022
Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Earth
I'll throw another out there - Haunted Bookshop. It had been hyped up quite a bit as an all day blend of great quality. I don't doubt the quality of the leaf, but if someone made an aromatic from durian fruit, it would be Haunted Bookshop.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You are referring to Sutliff, which was seeding pipe clubs with their aromatics?

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
Escudo for me as well. I had read so much about it being gold standard. Something in it just hit my tongue wrong. I gave it a few tries and each was the same. I know it's a quality product but it just doesn't taste good to me.

Reactions: yanoJL