PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a number of pipes that are smaller - Ropps and some smaller Petes. I don't even look at larger pipes, these days.

Reactions: BenMN

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic
I've come to find, as time has gone on, that I'm much more inclined to make the time to relax and have a smoke when I have a small pipe that only takes 20 or 30 minutes to smoke. In the hustle and bustle of modern life it can be difficult to dedicate an hour or more to smoking your pipe, so I've found myself gravitating towards small pipes that offer a break for leisure more compatible with a busy schedule.

Sure, I could just load a larger pipe half full, but there's something that's just more gratifying about sitting down and smoking a full bowl of pleasant tobacco in a pipe sized for your needs. With that in mind, I've spent the past couple years collecting small pipes as I found them, and with the Rattray's Blower's Daughter I got in the mail today I now feel like my small pipe collection is finally complete!

From left to right, here's my little assortment and the blend styles I'm dedicating them to:

Morgan Bones Milan - Aromatics
Rossi Piccolo - English blends
Rattray's Blower's Daughter - Virginias & VaPers
Dr. Grabow Lark (2002) - Burley blends
Peterson Junior Rusticated Billiard - Lakelands
AKB Meerschaum Wolf - Whatever the heck I feel like smoking

View attachment 298945

How about you? Are you a fan of small pipes, and if so which are your favorites?puffy
I do agree, same here have love for small pipes and short smokes but for evening I go with 1,5 h smokes

Reactions: BenMN

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Do you have a side by side of the Ropp J07 and the Ropp 275? The 275 stem didn't quite clench right for me.
1000003533.jpg
J07 on left, 275 on right
1000003535.jpg

If u don't like how the 275 clenches, the J07 is what you want. I don't mind the 275 bone stem, but that button is round. Like what I picture a reed stem would be like. It took me a few bowls to get used to.

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I smoke churchwardens pretty much exclusively. They're perfect for reading, and when I smoke I'm outside with a book. Most "traditional" churchwardens seem to have a small bowl, and usually last me about a half hour.
If I'm really in the mood for a longer smoke, (and I often am,) I've cobbled some larger bowls off ebay onto some long stems, or I can just load up two of my little churchwardens.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I like smaller pipes that take a folded flake perfectly. Just slide it in, know what I mean? Burns forever, which negates the short smoke premise, I reckon. I have no other use for them. The middle pipe below fits a folded Mac Baren's Navy Flake perfectly. Think the bore is .70" or less, which is generally too small for me. Looks larger here, for some reason, but it's not. (Group 4, above) Handles like a pencil and weighs nothing.

ladyclay 002.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I like smaller pipes that take a folded flake perfectly. Just slide it in, know what I mean? Burns forever, which negates the short smoke premise, I reckon. I have no other use for them. The middle pipe below fits a folded Mac Baren's Navy Flake perfectly. Think the bore is .70" or less, which is generally too small for me. Looks larger here, for some reason, but it's not. (Group 4, above) Handles like a pencil and weighs nothing.

View attachment 299069
What's the pipe on the bottom?

Reactions: fireground_piper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I really can't explain it, but the older I get the more that I find a Group-Three-size bowl suits me better than a larger bowl.
Ditto
When I returned to pipes a few years back I gave away quite a few of my smaller pipes as I was used to hour- long smokes from my cigars
I just don‘t reach for my larger pipes as much these days

Reactions: AroEnglish