PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Cob pipes aren't meant to last a lifetime, though I am sure MM has done their damn best to try and elongate the inevitable. I just became a cob owner after having looked over them since I began pipe smoking -I still prefer briar- and I was wondering, how long should/could a cob last before it burns out?
How long have your cobs gone before being put to pasture or dying in a fiery death? How old is your oldest cob?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
It's a variable, since it's an agricultural product, how often it's smoked, type of tobacco, etc. I have some that keep going, year after year, and others that have burned out after six months. The good news: you're not out an arm and a leg when one departs for corncob heaven. I still rotate mine to allow them to cool and dry. Sit back and enjoy a truly wonderful smoke.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have been smoking a pipe for a bit over a year now and still have my 1st MM Cob and it is still soaking great. I have several MM Cobs that I have smoked upwards of 10-12 bowls a day in and have yet to burn out one. The only cob that didn't last was a POS Chinese cob I bought by mistake off the bay.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I also have my very first cob from when I started smoking just over a year ago and it's still going strong. Although it does smell like a LAT grenade, it does it's job. I know the smells are supposed to dissipate but it's probably due to the build up of ash accumulated under the part of the shank that extends into the bowl which I have read is normal. I have also read that some MM cobs can last for yearssss, decades if treated and cleaned properly.
That year old pipe is a Washington, I have an tiny Eaton MM that seems more prone to burn through however due to the thin walls.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Pretty badass for a $5 pipe. I figured the way MM makes their product that it should last for quite some time, unlike an all natural cob or of course the Chinese variant. I'm wasn't worried more so as I was curious how long others were holding up.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Is it normal when they bore the draft hole in the shank for them to practically bore through the wall of the bowl as well?

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
Just my two cents.... and I don't want to sound corney... get it cobs.. corney... Oh brother... I have had my cobs for over a year... all are M M cobs... I would not use anything else.... my Country Gentleman gets smoked a lot... several times a week... my Patriot about the same... Mizzu.. same... Pony express about five or six times a month... Legend about five or six times a month.. but but my little $3.95 Eaton gets smoked EVERY DAY.. in fact I have replaced the little bit on it for a whole fifty cents... I keep extras on hand now... and when I say my Eaton gets smoked every day.. I mean.. Morning... Lunch... after lunch break.... evening.. and just before bed.. I love that little cob.. and it is no worse for ware after a year. I scrape it out pretty good.. the stem insert has signs of being well used.. but all in all.. it looks as good as the day I got it. Just for hoots and giggles.. I went on ebay and searched estate cobs... its actually a title.. and you would be amazed at the 10 year old or older cobs they have listed that are MM cobs.. and look fantastic. :)

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, I've seen the estate cobs and I don't understand why anyone would want one or to buy one. I get if it is an unusual shape or discontinued ... but for $5 new I couldn't buy a used one for the same, more, or less.
I dig my cob, but I don't foresee myself getting doubles of pipes I have. I have eight pipes in my rotation and the only repeat shape I have is a Peterson 03. I have one 03 Dracula and one 03 Rocky Donegal. The Dracula, though, is unsmoked, I just wanted one as a collectors item since they are no longer being produced.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
The MM cobs with a hardwood plug in the bottom of the bowl, will last a lot longer. The Legend series does not have the plug, and all three of mine burned out in three months. I smoke about four bowls/day in a cob, and my CG and Diplomats are all doing well.

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
I bought two MM Legends when I first started piping, about eight or nine months ago. The first legend went to cob heaven thanks to user error. My second is still going, but it's cracking in all kinds of uncomfortable ways. Again, I blame user error. I also have a third cob with a apple shape, not sure of the name. After six months, besides a bit of blackening on the rim, it's as good as new. I probably smoke 2-3 bowls a week in it.
One of the experiences pipers at my local B&M has a 22 year old cob that he still smokes once a week and it looks great. It's bigger than most MMs, but doesn't have a hard wood plug. YMMV and all.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have been to many antique stores and I mostly find old beat to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks in various shapes and sizes for around 15-30 bucks!! I just laugh and move on... I can't see anyone purchasing that thing!
Dr: some cracking may happen but doesn't necessarily mean its on its last leg. If I completely cracks in half that's a different story, smoke it till it crumbles!! :rofl:

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
Dr: some cracking may happen but doesn't necessarily mean its on its last leg. If I completely cracks in half that's a different story, smoke it till it crumbles!! :rofl:
That's what I'm doing! The front has small bits falling out and has that unusual cracking shape of safety glass, like when you drop a phone. Near the shank, there's a big black line across it. If I cover the bowl and blow, no air escapes. When I look inside the bowl, none of the cracks are all the way through. Heck, even the wood shank is holding up great, and the bottom shows no signs of falling out or even getting soft! I just always carry a backup. Knowing my luck, I'd grab it when I was going out for several hours, have the entire thing explode, and be teary-eyed I'm out a pipe. :crazy:
All this talk of cobs is making me bug my girl to buy me a MM Freehand for Christmas. Doesn't help I'm also eyeing those bags of "cosmetically flawed" MMs they offer on their site.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
@gothicmace you ever try the Missouri Pride? To me they feel like the Eaton's big brother. I love the eatons (I've got 3) and I'm going to get a few more of the M Prides.
I'm just bummed out Walker Briar doesn't carry them. I want a couple that are banded with killer acrylic stems :(

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I have two MM Legends I've been smoking for 25 to 30 years...
I guess they don't make em like they used to. One possible reason Legends don't last long these days might be the poor corn crop last year. It may have affected cob quality.

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
Yes I have the Missouri Pride.... and you are right it is like the Eaton's big brother. The Pony Express is kind of like its fancy big brother with the finished exterior as well. ALso... spot on werdna on the M&M pipes... I spoke with them many months ago... on a couple shapes and they indicated since they grow there own corn specifically for the pipes... they poor corn yields hit them hard for the past two years. I wanted to see if they could make something about a similar build to the Country Gentleman but with a larger internal bowl diameter. Guess we will just have to pray for rain and then lots of good growing weather for the next two years in Washington Missouri. :P

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I think the issue is 4 bowls a day in a Legend. Cobs more than briar need to dry out. I've had cobs for 10 years but they get smoked around once a week at most in my rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.