PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Did the middle one have colored wax? I mean that the wax was yellow instead of the usual white.
I was assuming the bottom one was white to begin with, like the bowl. If it was colored then you're right, the whole example doesn't indicate anything.

Reactions: TheWhale13
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Is the top ones color caused by actual coloring, or just grime and ash stuck in the carvings? It's a very nice pipe by the way Hoosier.

But the bottom one looking very colored is just because its wax was colored, and being bleached by the heat?
It may be oils from handling but it's not grime and grit. I use the water flush cleaning method. I use a brush to clean the outside of the Meer when I do this.

I believe the bottom pipe is the wax coloring. It certainly didn't color from the inside out that quickly. What's strange is the bowl got writer and the shank colored. I don't know, I just enjoy smoking them. They will end up coloring as a result, nothing I am going to do to try to affect that.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
So if this pipe wasn't white to begin with, was it essentially the color that the shank is now except just not quite as dark?
1676835743773.png

The shank now looks a bit darker I guess, but yeah no internal coloring probably. It seems that the heat of the bowl bleaches the more yellow wax and leaves a pure, beautiful white behind.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
View attachment 203886

The shank now looks a bit darker I guess, but yeah no internal coloring probably. It seems that the heat of the bowl bleaches the more yellow wax and leaves a pure, beautiful white behind.
Essentially this. Three entire pipe was originally a dull white. The bowl bleached quickly, less than 5 bowls, and the shank has been getting darker ever since. The Original is shown in the post I'm responding to.

After approximately 10 bowls.

4BE90714-4797-48EF-8443-77052E4296BB.jpeg

After approximately 25 bowls.

5344EFB5-45C2-4FA3-B473-F9DEDE5938FC.jpeg

And today.
A25F3BBC-637D-4E8B-8C37-877E4A79F7CD.jpeg

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Seeing this pipe has made me interested in getting a colored waxed pipe. Before I thought that they would stay yellow, and instead of giving the impression of more color, just make the color less likely to be seen.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Seeing this pipe has made me interested in getting a colored waxed pipe. Before I thought that they would stay yellow, and instead of giving the impression of more color, just make the color less likely to be seen.
My Kenans both had a yellow/cream colored wax and are coloring nicely. The upper back part of the skull even lightened from smoking warmth.

IMG_4802__51590.1574218451.jpeg.jpg
Remini20220312011757783.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Essentially this. Three entire pipe was originally a dull white. The bowl bleached quickly, less than 5 bowls, and the shank has been getting darker ever since. The Original is shown in the post I'm responding to.

After approximately 10 bowls.

View attachment 203890

After approximately 25 bowls.

View attachment 203891

And today.
View attachment 203892
So apparently on these colored meers the wax on the bowl is affected first...which makes sense because it gets warmer than the shank.

And on this one the shank never lightened at all, just kept getting darker...so that could not be because of the wax heating or it would have lightened. So it seems to me it can only mean the shank colored from the inside out.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So apparently on these colored meers the wax on the bowl is affected first...which makes sense because it gets warmer than the shank.

And on this one the shank never lightened at all, just kept getting darker...so that could not be because of the wax heating or it would have lightened. So it seems to me it can only mean the shank colored from the inside out.
I don’t think so. This Meer has a thicker coating of wax than I’ve ever experienced. I think you’re right, the bowl got hotter and there was bleached out. The wax on the shank though has just darkened. That shank is quite thick, no way it darkened from the inside out that quickly.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I don’t think so. This Meer has a thicker coating of wax than I’ve ever experienced. I think you’re right, the bowl got hotter and there was bleached out. The wax on the shank though has just darkened. That shank is quite thick, no way it darkened from the inside out that quickly.
Any idea why the wax would darken on the shank but lighten on the bowl?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Temperature difference.
I get why that accounts for the bowl lightening, but it doesn't seem like it really makes sense that a lower temperature on the shank would make the wax darken...but then there are much more significant things in this world that don't make sense either.

On white meers the shank always darkens first, and I remain unconvinced that it's just the exterior wax, but I'm not saying I know, and I could very well be wrong.

I would love to go back to not caring about the coloring issue enough to even comment on it, but I've been lured into the coloring cult by all of these threads and I can't get out now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I get why that accounts for the bowl lightening, but it doesn't seem like it really makes sense that a lower temperature on the shank would make the wax darken
Enough heat to flash the color on the bowl, and just enough heat to darken the shank. If you wave a heat gun over one, the entire pipe will darken but if you hold it in one place too long, it will loose color before burning.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
After browsing through this thread, I'll add this. I've read several books on meerschaum pipes, I've spoken to several meerschaum carvers at a pipe show, and other pipe smokers with large meerschaum collections and meerschaum experience and they all said this; cake is bad for your pipe.

It's okay to have a thin layer of cake, but building up cake like you would with a briar can cause the meerschaum to crack/break over time. The cake does not add to the color as it doesn't allow for new tars and oils to reach the meerschaum and stops the meerschaum from doing what it naturally does; express the tars and oils. As the meerschaum expresses those tars and oils the beeswax that's on the pipe holds the tars and oils in allowing us to see what we call color. If you have a buildup of cake those tars and oils won't be expressed by the meerschaum properly and your pipe won't color like it should.

Other important "NO's" from the books, and carvers; never use alcohol on your meerschaum. Alcohol will stop the natural abilities of the meerschaum. Alcohol is okay on the stem, but keep it out of the shank and bowl. Do not flush water down your pipe. It can damage the meerschaum over time and not allow it to do what it needs to do naturally. Do not use pipe reamers on the bowl, as it can damage the bowl or even crack the pipe. Using a pipe knife can also cause you to cut into the meerschaum causing damage, so they're also not recommended.

As for the washer coin in the bottom of the bowl; not sure where that idea ever came from, but it's definitely a bad idea in a meerschaum. Please don't do that.