SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 29, 2016
I'm a small GBD collector with 20 pipes of different grades. I recently compared my first pipe ever, a GBD London( written in a straight line) that is stamped and a GBD London Made oval written and again stamped. There always is this assumption that the rondelle disappeared with the Comoy merger but I wonder if that's the case. Maybe in the last years, the GBD lower grades would get stamped instead of getting a rondelle? I like to learn about GBD history but unfortunately, the sources are very scarce. GBD pipes are beautiful and most smoke very well, the quality of the briar is amazing and I dare to say that for the money paid, those pipes are a great deal on the estate pipe market.
Thank you for any information

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome Virginialover (I'm just East in Maryland). I've seen rondell pipes with the round COM but I don't recall seeing Staight line COM stamped pipes with a stamped stem logo. I suppose anything was possible in the era around the merger, what you suggests sounds plausible. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be any folks from the factory left to speak of such things. Those folks can't be that old yet.

Mar 29, 2016
I'll send pictures. I bought this GBD London pipe in 1987 in Montreal, it was probably on the shelf for some time. Also,I just recently payed attention to my old pipe and I was surprised to see a London grade and not a London Made that I acquired later on EBay. On another note I purchased a New Era written in a straight line with a rondelle but on the other side, there's no London,England but a 326P. Another New Era is oval written with a rondelle and London,England.
Regards

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Unfortunately some of new GBD's have the rondel (but it looks different) and the straight line COM. This one just popped up on Ebay this morning. The GBD page says the Midnight finish was introduced in 1980, so that makes sense.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GBD-MID-NIGHT-BENT-PIPE-9436-/172151202453?

Mar 29, 2016
There's a catalog from 1983 on the net pipepages.com that still shows GBD's with a rondelle now I cannot see the COM. So we could say that stamping and straight line COM, rondelle and oval markings tend to show that the merger was probably a gradual process and that the old unfinished stock from GBD found itself amalgamated with Comoy style markings.
On kingsmokingpipesandcigars.com the GBD pipes have the rondelle but a different one, straight line markings and old school numbers. This is for sure a modern GBD and the makers are trying to cash-in on the old symbols that made GBD a good pipe at a fair price.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Speaking of the newer GBD's, not long ago Dutch posted a stock photo of a new 9438 with an amber swirl stem and brass rhondelle. It looked very nice. Has anyone bought a new GBD recently, and how is the quality? The only new GBD's I've seen for sale is the PUB model on P&C. That model just doesn't appeal to me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was watching this unsmoked, 1936 GBD with hallmarks. It blew past my max intended so fast in the final ten seconds, that I didn't even get a chance to record a losing bid. I would have just smoked it anyway...
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: rogers

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
If you are a GBD collector you can not live without J.W.Coles book " The GBD St Claude Story " London 1976.

Hard to find I should think but make a try.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I found a copy in the UK thanks to a member here (shipping was only to the UK). It is rather hard to find here. I would say that book is for the hard-core GBD fans as it mainly pertains to the business end with little on how the pipes were made, finish grades, eras, etc.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This might be a record for a GBD, $629. I've never seen a GBD of this size before.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381775032245?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
here on for you Al and anyone else.

This is my latest GBD new standard,is it a rhodesian? any idea of the model number.I havent got it yet but Dean at estatepipeshop.co.uk said in his listing number worn off.I think I can see a 9 and a 1 there.There is no sign of a GBD rondell or stamp on the stem ,do you think it looks original?

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
It sure looks like a 9438, but the stem is most likely not original. It would have had the rondelle and the dimensions, while certainly apt, are not quite right.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@samcoffeeeman

you may well be right about the stem as if you look at the picture of the GBD stamping there is wear towards the stem/stummel join ,maybe indicating that it has been sanded to match the stem.I am not really worried as it was very well priced.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The bit shape suggests that pipe is a post merger 9438 Bent Rhodesian. You will notice the bit has a slight flatness to the sides not present in earlier London Made versions. Additionally the earlier pipes has a slightly fishtailed button end. The attached picture are all pre-merger pipes. The pipe you have pictured is likely to have been made in the Comoy factory in London after 1981.

Reactions: AroEnglish