PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Whoah. Time marches on.
When we find the "nu-metal gene," I'm all for invoking CRISPR to fix the situation...

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
The ethics debate behind where this will take us in the very near future is no laughing matter. And there is no respite waiting from the other side of the aisle, either.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Just too many conspiracy theories and controversy over medical discoveries, coupled with our monetary system, to make any good calls on this.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
^ Oh, yeah. Break out your best tinfoil hat...
I'm a forum veteran, I know how to stir things up better than anyone here, likely been kicked off more forums than most on here, and have a flame suit capable of resisting the harshest, most insulting/ degrading comments ever made towards another human being. :nana:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One good thing about a tin foil hat...it makes it difficult and painful to hide one’s head where the sun don’t shine.

May 4, 2015
One good thing about a tin foil hat...it makes it difficult and painful to hide one’s head where the sun don’t shine.
I feel like that's some sort of mixed metaphor. Or something.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
If it was possible to "repair" a child with Downs syndrom the world would be a better place.
I myself, have a genetic mutation that causes my blood to clot. I have been taking Warfarin for 43 years. If they could fix that I am totally onboard

May 4, 2015
^ It's more about preventing heritable diseases before they are passed on than "repairing" people with diseases.
But yes, both of your examples would be great - and someday they might be a possibility.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's more about preventing heritable diseases before they are passed on than "repairing" people with diseases.
Not necessarily. There is also a study where CRISPR supposedly succeeded in curing disease in mice. I believe it was muscular dystrophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.