The Future of Dunhills (White Spots) in the US??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have been "called" White Spots for a few years now, but now they can no longer be called just Dunhill's at all. So, they started only stamping them as "Alfred Dunhill's White Spots" from now on. The name can be used in this context, but they cannot be stamped just "Dunhill."
This is from the only true industry experts that I have met, which are on the business end of the hobby.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@chasingembers

What year was the last of the "just Dunhills" produced?
I don't know, but it is somewhere between 2007 - 2013.
Those are my two newest purchased new Dundills.
The 2007 has the old Dunhill logo stamp, and the 2013 says Alfred Dunhill's White Spot.
Scroll down to my posts, #13 & #15 in this thread for more of the story on Dunhill / White Spot.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/dunhill-logo

Thanks Kevin, so the fact that the Dunhill company is cutting the cord entirely on the pipe world is not something new.
It just amazes me that folks still want to buy, even old ones. It's like Remington trading the gun manufacturing game for the florist industry, and guys still wanting to collect a brand that will only be associated with flowers in a few more years.
Not long from now, people will ask what kind of pipe that is, and when you tell them Dunhill, they will respond, " Dunhill?

like the belts and wallets?"

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Okay, thanks. Would like to get some family birth year pieces to go with mine.
Duane looking for MORE Dunhills...I think I just spotted the first of the Four Horsemen...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane looking for MORE Dunhills...I think I just spotted the first of the Four Horsemen...

That Angel breaking the seals has a pipe in his mouth. :rofl:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not long from now, people will ask what kind of pipe that is, and when you tell them Dunhill, they will respond, " Dunhill?

like the belts and wallets?"
It will be a very long time before that happens, at least among half-knowledgeable pipe folks.

Man, all it took was less than ten years for the millenials to forget who Johnny Carson was. And, WAY more people knew him than know about Dunhill. Heck I was smoking for a few years before I even knew what a Dunhill was, and I haven't been smoking that long. I had associated the name with the Dunhill cologne. We are sort of insulated within the pipe community.

Heck, ask the average person on the street what Savinelli or Peterson brings to mind. Even ask a cigar guy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heck, ask the average person on the street what Savinelli or Peterson brings to mind. Even ask a cigar guy.
In most places, I'd wager a lot more people would know - that is, heard of, Dunhill pipes than Pete or Sav.... Then again I could be completely wrong. It happened once before!! But biased, I am, since I was introduced to Dunhill pipes 55 years ago.

allthebass

Might Stick Around
May 7, 2017
Bettendorf, IA
The owner of MCM was at the Chicago show and it appeared he was with another distributor that may be taking on MCM's lines. Not sure about The White Spot pipes (that sounds so dumb)but I didn't notice the big display where they typically have them. Never got the full scoop.
Honestly I love British pipes so I no longer see the appeal of Dunhill if they aren't made in England..... and for that matter are no longer Dunhills. Don't get me wrong, if they are now made in Italy they are probably masterfully made pipes....they just won't have the British quirks; styling, finish etc.. Luckily there are plenty of estate Dunhills floating around if anyone still desires an actual British Dunhill.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Like Kevin, my 2013 pipe is stamped "Alfred Dunhills The White Spot".

Some 2012's have Dunhill, while others have ADTHWD, so they appear to have been making the transition in that year.

I have not seen a 2013 stamped only "Dunhill".

I'm not finding very many 2013 Dunhills on the web, the change may have hampered production?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016

:rofl:
I was going to comment something involving freezing over and hell, but I like yours better.

Status
Not open for further replies.