The Fourth Dunhill, When Was It Made, What To Do With It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well you asked for it, so here it is. The fourth Dunhill from The Dunhill Project, that I said was not restorable. I can't seem to figure out what year the pipe is, as there is no number after the "d". Anyone care to hazard a guess? I also have no idea what I'd like to do with the pipe. I toyed with the idea of cutting the bowl even on top, and grinding the bowl out where it needs it so I could perhaps get a meerschaum bowl for Falcon and fit it in. Kind of a mini calabash. I've also considered just cutting the bowl off altogether and making a tamper out of the shank, saving the stem for some future day. Again, any suggestions?
I'll have to admit that these pipes were a challenge to fix up, but it was also fun trying to figure the best way to do the repairs. They look pretty decent now, but are certainly not prime examples of old Dunhill pipes. So far they seem to be usable, but I have no way of knowing if the repairs will last. I have other pipes that I've repaired some bad damage on before, and so far they are holding up fine.
Lastly, I wonder about the previous smoker of these. How did they come to be in such bad repair? It wasn't just heavy use and not cleaning cake out, but they had things done to them that really damaged them. Could the person have been mentally ill in some way, or did they decide what they were doing made the pipes better? I'm sure there's story behind them, and it would be interesting to know what it was. (I think)
When I first got it:

img_0386-600x258.jpg

img_0388-600x388.jpg

After basic clean up:

img_0470-600x271.jpg

img_0475-600x449.jpg

img_0492-600x365.jpg

img_0499-600x334.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dating, I'm going to say 1951. From R.D. Field,
1951: ...in addition a group number e.g. 4 R or 3 A is introduced for the first time.
1952: As above but with the suffix2 after the word ENGLAND. Also, instead of DUNHILL/LONDON the finish of the pipe is stamped under the word Dunhill e.g. DUNHILL/ROOT BRIAR

1954 last year of Patent markings on Dunhill's. I would just finish cleaning it up and smoke that old soldier as is! :)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks Dave, but that's the site I used to date these pipes, and in every case there is supposed to be a suffix number after the D in England. According to them this pipe would have to be made in 1951 or after because of the group number, but it still should have a number after the D starting with 1. The 1950 pipe had a 0 after the D, but no group size. So, it appears to be a mystery! Maybe, dare I say it? this is a rare "transition era" Dunhill... ha, ha, ha :mrgreen:
Yeah, I thought about smoking it as is, but because the bowl is so low and thin walled, I'm afraid I'd burn my fingers. Might have to wear oven mitts to smoke it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The best/only way to smoke that is to grind into dust, pour it into one of your other Dunhills, and light it up ;) you'd be one of the few to ever truly smoke a Dunhill.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know nothing, but just to make a narrative thread out of this, maybe the owner bought the pipes when they were more moderately priced (which they were for quite a while) and liking them a lot, when back to buy others and found that they now cost as much as an Italian suit or something, so just kept on smoking the ones he had down to the burnt-out wrecks we see today. Likely not true; maybe the prices had gone up before these were made, etc. But it makes a story.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
While I was quite surprised by the ot g er three, this one is really a junker. You did the best most of us could imagine. I do think a tamper would serve a good purpose from this old soldier.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Send it to George D. lol
Did you see this thread? Marvic had a great solution for broken bowls. Scroll down towards the bottom of the thread.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/1913-comoys-4-pipe-set#post-957696

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I actually have two Dunhill pipes, the stampings are rubbed off but you can see a D on the shank. The bowls are in decent condition. If you like I can send them, and you can transplant a Dunhill bowl onto the shank. PM if you like.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Maybe the previous owner's kid(s) got his/her/their hands on it. I destroyed one of my Dad's pipes similarly many years ago, totally not knowing what I was doing. :oops:
As for course of action ... maybe just leave it as is. There's a story in that pipe without saying anything. You can show that off when you show off the other Dunhills on which you've worked your magic. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.