PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I placed a second order from Estervals via UPS and got my package inspected by the FDA and slapped with $169 of import fees. UPS can kiss my .... future business goodbye. :mad:

View attachment 298664
View attachment 298666
What in the everloving... what is this world coming to?

Been over 20 years since I worked at that UPS hub, sorry I can't help ya out.

Reactions: greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
What in the everloving... what is this world coming to?

Been over 20 years since I worked at that UPS hub, sorry I can't help ya out.
It is the "brokerage fee" scam.

UPS are charging me $167 in fees just for forwarding the $0.27 of import tax I owe to the federal government.

I'm furious.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
What's the retail on the tobacco?
Around $300. You can see the "government charges" above were $0.27.

I looked this up, apparently this is a racket that UPS has via a company they specifically set up for the purpose: UPS Customhouse Inc.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
So just an update: my box arrived and there was no paperwork from the FDA, stamps, or any indication whatsoever that it was opened or inspected.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Well my first order with Estervals went about as I expected. Held up in Cincinnati. The DHL representative reached out and wants me to fill out multiple forms, one being a Tobacco Import Permit. Has anyone ever gone through the process of actually obtaining the permit? I know there's a post about this situation from a couple of years ago where Greeneyes went through a similar situation but he got by without the tobacco import permit
So, not really "discrete" shippnig from Germany ?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Did you pay the ransom?
I paid the ransom via PayPal. Then as soon as the package was delivered, I disputed the payment and explained the situation, and told PayPal that I opted to pay the FDA myself.

I won.

Of course, there was no evidence the FDA even looked at my package. It hadn't been opened, no stamps or paperwork. No official notice from the FDA. It's a con. UPS is just brining in money for nothing.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I paid the ransom via PayPal. Then as soon as the package was delivered, I disputed the payment and explained the situation, and told PayPal that I opted to pay the FDA myself.

I won.

Of course, there was no evidence the FDA even looked at my package. It hadn't been opened, no stamps or paperwork. No official notice from the FDA. It's a con. UPS is just brining in money for nothing.
You done good, sir.
Thank you.