PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

smokeystache

Lurker
Mar 28, 2023
Arkansas
Well my first order with Estervals went about as I expected. Held up in Cincinnati. The DHL representative reached out and wants me to fill out multiple forms, one being a Tobacco Import Permit. Has anyone ever gone through the process of actually obtaining the permit? I know there's a post about this situation from a couple of years ago where Greeneyes went through a similar situation but he got by without the tobacco import permit

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
It happened to me in June of 2021. In the end, DHL sent it back to Estervals who offered to either refund or reship at no additional charge. He mentioned that this sort of thing happens to about one out of 50 shipments and that almost always, the reshipped package is delivered without further incident, as mine was. The reshipment was shockingly quick.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
My order was 2.772KG, do you think that order is too big and drawing attention?
My best guess is that they randomly select packages for review and that size isn't important. The order I had waylaid was 3 kg, for what it's worth. This question of size or value triggering an interception has been bandied about many times, with no solid conclusions being drawn. A few of my friends have received multiple large orders with no problems.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
... It's just DHL being a pain.

The world's self-righteous, authority-orgasm-driven screechy Karens have found a new calling. For decades the most satisfying were home owner's associations, PTA boards, and city councils.

"Interpreter of vague/ambiguous rules regarding shipped goods" has now been added to their list.

Absolutely disgusting creatures, one and all. No exceptions.

Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 8.34.35 PM.png

smokeystache

Lurker
Mar 28, 2023
Arkansas
Also just to add a little salt to the wound, I reached out to a customs broker about the issue and as soon as I mentioned tobacco he cut me off and said "You'll never get it! It's not worth the headache!" He then encouraged me to have Estervals label the package as something else but I have a feeling that they don't do that for fear of losing their business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Also just to add a little salt to the wound, I reached out to a customs broker about the issue and as soon as I mentioned tobacco he cut me off and said "youll never get it! Its not worth the headache!" He then encouraged me to have estervals label the package as something else but I have a feeling that they don't do that for fear of losing their business.
That guy is a dick.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Geez! Bad luck man. I’ve order 6 or 7 times and only been held up once! Ive had 2 orders in the last month show up in mere days!

Sorry man, you just drew the short straw this time. I did go through with whatever the papers were last time and had no issue other than the PITA. Everything showed up, just a little later.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Leomania

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well my first order with Estervals went about as I expected. Held up in Cincinnati. The DHL representative reached out and wants me to fill out multiple forms, one being a Tobacco Import Permit. Has anyone ever gone through the process of actually obtaining the permit? I know there's a post about this situation from a couple of years ago where Greeneyes went through a similar situation but he got by without the tobacco import permit
So…
Update?

smokeystache

Lurker
Mar 28, 2023
Arkansas
Has this been resolved?
I'm glad that you asked because I forgot to post an update the other day.

After gling back and forth with DHL i eventually decided to just have the package shipped back to Estervals. Lucky for my, they were in the process of working out a deal with UPS so they offered to ship my package back to me. It arrived in great condition in just a few days. I'm not sure if they have all of the kinks worked out with UPS as I was told that they are still in a test phase.