PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
This is a new permanent staple of their Non-Aromatic line, described as being:

A naturally Sweet & Tangy blend of Golden Virginias, Flue-cured Virginias, Burley, Turkish, and Louisiana Perique.​

Upon opening the 2oz bag, you would second guess if this really is a non-aromatic. I was immediately hit with cocoa, herbal tea, and maybe a hint of burgamot.

Think of smelling a milk chocolate bar next to a green tea bag.

Not being convinced this wasn't an aromatic, I decided to load up one of my cobs for this first smoke.

First, it is definitely not an aromatic. Upon first char, I did get some of that cocoa flavor, but more so as a very subtle topping to the other components.

Now, if you asked me, what was your first impression?

Well, its really good and its a perfect no nonsense, light it and forget about it, blend.

I mean that in a way that the flavor profile does not change. The first 1/3 of the bowl tasted as good as the last 1/3. There were no peaks or valleys, this is a really good example of an all day, never let you down blend.

You will get more burley and Turkish from this than the other components. They are front and center while the others help to provide body and subtleties to the blend. You get this nice nuttiness and subtle chocolate taste, with just a hint of sour and savory. I do detect a bit of herbal tea or green tea from it, and the very faintest of citrus.

For anyone that likes the old codger blends, this would be right up your alley in my opinion.

The Virginias, to me, were not very noticeable, and I honestly could not tell if the bit of tanginess was from them or the perique. Like I said, I feel like those components really hang out in the background playing hide and seek. If you look for them, you will find them, but if they weren't listed, I doubt you would say you noticed them at all (Just my opinion).

There has to be some sort of topping on this, though it doesn't interfere at all. Its just one of those that, once you have a bag in hand and smell it, you know its there and I feel it compliments the blend instead of distracting from it.

All in all I would say this blend will not blow you away by any means. It is not complex, it is not comprised of any exotic leaf, and is not some limited run with rare aged Virginias and sold in a 4 hour window. It also is not a blend that will disappoint either. This, to me at least, is what I look to when I want something I know will satisfy in the flavor department and doesn't require all the adjectives in the English language to describe.

I would 100% say to those new to the hobby wanting to branch out from aromatics into something else, this is an entirely fool proof blend that does not bite and takes little babysitting in the cadence department. I pushed this pretty hard today and it performed perfectly.

For those of you who have been around the block for a while, again, I still cant recommend this enough. It will remain a staple in my cellar and will be something I gravitate to when I just want something I know will be good and I dont have to think about, or something for the road or when out fishing or hiking.

For any of you that have ordered any, I would love to hear your thoughts, and if you are on the fence, I say grab an ounce or 2 to try.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Nice review. I had placed an order with them a couple weeks ago and am supposed to be getting it Monday (being in a more remote northern Canadian has its drawbacks), but I didn't see that offering when I ordered. Next time I suppose! It sounds like something I'd enjoy.