PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
A friend new to pipe smoking asked me if the degree of bend in pipes is generally defined or agreed upon by manufacturers. I didn't think so as often they will differ on bowl shape names!! However it got me thinking and I put together a suggestion for reference.

Any thoughts or disagreements? I'm not sure if there is an agreed definition but I thought it might start a conversation ;)

004-002-18409.7514.jpg004-006-13092.jpg002-033-5525.jpg
1/8th Bend.......................................... 1/4 Bend ............................................1/2 Bend
027.116__75171.jpg002-033-7273.jpg
3/4 Bend............................................. Fully Bent

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It is like everything else in the pipe it is all up to the beholder. There is no standardization of anything in the pipe world. Neither in shape, size, bent, bowl shape, style, etc., It is up to the carver/company who did to but names to these things and people are looking at them to but their symbolic names too them.

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
A friend new to pipe smoking asked me if the degree of bend in pipes is generally defined or agreed upon by manufacturers. I didn't think so as often they will differ on bowl shape names!! However it got me thinking and I put together a suggestion for reference.

Any thoughts or disagreements? I'm not sure if there is an agreed definition but I thought it might start a conversation ;)

View attachment 297098View attachment 297099View attachment 297100
1/8th Bend.......................................... 1/4 Bend ............................................1/2 Bend
View attachment 297101View attachment 297102
I don't know if you're right here, but you are something even better: in complete agreement with me!

When I read the title, visions of various degrees of bends, and their names ran through my head, and just what's pictured here. Given what we're talking about, it's no surprise: it's a reasonably objective descriptor.

Unlike shape names. "Bullcap"...whaaat!?

Reactions: beerandbaccy

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I don't know if you're right here, but you are something even better: in complete agreement with me!

When I read the title, visions of various degrees of bends, and their names ran through my head, and just what's pictured here. Given what we're talking about, it's no surprise: it's a reasonably objective descriptor.

Unlike shape names. "Bullcap"...whaaat!?
haha
Glad someone agrees! Let's not get started on the bull *blank* shapes family !! That's for another time :LOL:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

View attachment 297098View attachment 297099View attachment 297100
View attachment 297101View attachment 297102
Works for me.

Reactions: grimpeur

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
What I want to know, is the reason for a slight bend. Like some are seemingly just like the button end starts to bend a little.

Just make em straight!

Maybe I'm biased lol.

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
What I want to know, is the reason for a slight bend. Like some are seemingly just like the button end starts to bend a little.

Just make em straight!

Maybe I'm biased lol.
Based on a sample of two that I've experienced, I've found the slight bend adds comfort out of proportion to such a small touch.

Sometimes it looks odd, times it adds a distinguished air to the pipe.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, put a straight pipe on a table, bowl upright. Take a look: you'll see the button just two or three millimeters off the surface. Put a bend in the stem just enough to get the button touching the table...it really makes a difference.

However, I'm at the age where I'm a little sensitive about having people associating "droopiness" with me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Based on a sample of two that I've experienced, I've found the slight bend adds comfort out of proportion to such a small touch.

Sometimes it looks odd, times it adds a distinguished air to the pipe.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, put a straight pipe on a table, bowl upright. Take a look: you'll see the button just two or three millimeters off the surface. Put a bend in the stem just enough to get the button touching the table...it really makes a difference.

However, I'm at the age where I'm a little sensitive about having people associating "droopiness" with me.
I'm glad my post made sense! I have a feeling most don't these days. Especially late at night haha.

Yeah those just look goofy to me lol

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Based on a sample of two that I've experienced, I've found the slight bend adds comfort out of proportion to such a small touch. Put a bend in the stem just enough to get the button touching the table...it really makes a difference

Just got this in recently.

17368546-8E8A-4CE6-8A0D-E1FDB26FFFA6.jpeg
1EFD8A6C-C76E-496C-BDDF-046741897426.jpeg
Essentially a straight Bulldog with a “droopy” button
I was surprised how comfortable it is to clench given its largish bowl

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Just got this in recently.

View attachment 297211
View attachment 297212
Essentially a straight Bulldog with a “droopy” button
I was surprised how comfortable it is to clench given its largish bowl
Close, and gives the same effect. Handsome pipe, by the way.

But I believe this would be a better example of what would get @didimauw 's goat:
1000002555.jpg

It would be a good example of a straight billiard, but the maker (John Calich) thought he'd give it a little razzle-dazzle...and here we are!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Close, and gives the same effect. Handsome pipe, by the way.

But I believe this would be a better example of what would get @didimauw 's goat:
View attachment 297220

It would be a good example of a straight billiard, but the maker (John Calich) thought he'd give it a little razzle-dazzle...and here we are!
Perfect example! Hahaha. I mean, it's not like I really clench the pipe straight out of my teeth. I use a straight pipe, as one would clench a bent, like at a 45 degree angle 😂. But that's not the point! Lol