The Beginning Signs of Burnout. Pipe mud?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Title edited for lack of capitals of important words. Rule 9.
Can you post photos?

I have a falcon bowl called the "chimney". The walls are a few mm thick all the way down. I don't smoke this bowl any differently than my other falcon bowl or any other of my briar pipes. I cannot smoke this again thing without resolution...
It gets so dang hot. This evening I said "f-it" and just didn't touch the pipe even though I knew it was getting too hot to touch. When I finally examined the bowl mid-smoke, the hot spot (right above the draw-way of the stem) was blackening. My saliva evaporated immediately when I tested to see how hot it was. I smelled the wood burning as well.
This doesn't happen with my other pipes so I think I may shelf this bowl forever. However, I'm wondering if the pipe can be salvaged with a few insulating coats of pipe mud. Does anyone have any similar experiences or feedback? Obviously smoking cooler and slower is an option, or a cooler-smoking tobacco. IMHO the "chimney" bowl is a total fail but I know we are a creative and resourceful bunch. Whatchya got for me?

link to product: (not for promo purposes) Falcon Chimney Smooth 50 Tobacco Pipe Bowl - https://www.tobaccopipes.com/falcon-chimney-smooth-50-tobacco-pipe-bowl/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had a brand new morta develop a couple of burnout spots within the few smokes - obviously due to "soft" spots
Couple of coats of pipe mud solved that problem

An estate arrived with very thin walls and base (over-reamed)
I didn't return it as I liked the pipe
Applied a couple of layers of JB Weld
Then a couple of layers of pipe mud.
Great smoker now

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Scottmi

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The makers all understand burn out is a problem and the good ones know exactly how thick a bowl must be to not suffer a burn out.

But burls are a natural product and they vary.

That bowl is toasted, literally.

It will be a pain to smoke until it mercifully burns through and you are forced, to buy a replacement bowl.

Pipe mud might only prolong the agony, but if it’s toasted black outside even that doesn’t sound promising.

They make morta and meer bowls for Falcons, and the normal fat ones that overhang the bowl.

Might as well break down and buy one.

It’s a shame Marxman never made a Falcon bowl from geniune Algerian mountain grown briar. It does not get hot, period.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
I had a brand new morta develop a couple of burnout spots within the few smokes - obviously due to "soft" spots
Couple of coats of pipe mud solved that problem

An estate arrived with very thin walls and base (over-reamed)
I didn't return it as I liked the pipe
Applied a couple of layers of JB Weld
Then a couple of layers of pipe mud.
Great smoker now
LOL @JB weld on a pipe. Really??

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
LOL @JB weld on a pipe. Really??

About thirty years ago my friend Jack rebuilt a huge air compressor in his factory. The piston had a hole in it.

It was a relic of war surplus from the forties. No parts were available.

Jack used JB Weld to fill the hole.

It was still in service today.

He also made some bearings for it from Osage Orange, also still in service.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
About thirty years ago my friend Jack rebuilt a huge air compressor in his factory. The piston had a hole in it.

It was a relic of war surplus from the forties. No parts were available.

Jack used JB Weld to fill the hole.

It was still in service today.

He also made some bearings for it from Osage Orange, also still in service.
Oh I am happy to use JB weld on mechanicals, but certainly not smokeables.! I hate to judge but cmon that seems pretty irritant to the body. Osage Orange is one of the hardest woods in North America and I don't doubt that it could replace metal in certain scenarios.

Reactions: renfield

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Oh I am happy to use JB weld on mechanicals, but certainly not smokeables.! I hate to judge but cmon that seems pretty irritant to the body. Osage Orange is one of the hardest woods in North America and I don't doubt that it could replace metal in certain scenarios.
I know, right? but search around and you will find JB weld is a common and often recommended repair material for pipes.

Reactions: OzPiper

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

It’s a very low RPM compressor and low pressure.

It had been in constant service for fifty years and thirty more since rebuilt.

The big electric motor on it, which has a belt, is 80 years old, still chugging.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I suppose you could double or triple wrap it in leather. (Easy enough to glue strips on)
Won't win a prize for looks, but needn't appear shabby with some care.

Reactions: Briar Lee

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Title edited for lack of capitals of important words. Rule 9.
Can you post photos?

I have a falcon bowl called the "chimney". The walls are a few mm thick all the way down. I don't smoke this bowl any differently than my other falcon bowl or any other of my briar pipes. I cannot smoke this again thing without resolution...
It gets so dang hot. This evening I said "f-it" and just didn't touch the pipe even though I knew it was getting too hot to touch. When I finally examined the bowl mid-smoke, the hot spot (right above the draw-way of the stem) was blackening. My saliva evaporated immediately when I tested to see how hot it was. I smelled the wood burning as well.
This doesn't happen with my other pipes so I think I may shelf this bowl forever. However, I'm wondering if the pipe can be salvaged with a few insulating coats of pipe mud. Does anyone have any similar experiences or feedback? Obviously smoking cooler and slower is an option, or a cooler-smoking tobacco. IMHO the "chimney" bowl is a total fail but I know we are a creative and resourceful bunch. Whatchya got for me?

link to product: (not for promo purposes) Falcon Chimney Smooth 50 Tobacco Pipe Bowl - https://www.tobaccopipes.com/falcon-chimney-smooth-50-tobacco-pipe-bowl/
Sorry for not adding photos. Thanks to the Moderator making sure I follow the rules.IMG_20240112_203044019_HDR.jpg