PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I did not know Abita was a Louisana beer. The only thing I see here in FL by them is TurboDog which I like but don't love but at least its not an IPA or other super hoppy variant. Bayou Tech LA31 Stout intrigues me. I love a good stout and it makes me think of the books I"m reading (Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke).

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What made Lone Star big was Willie and Waylon writing songs about it.
I thought Willie was just a pothead these days. They keep catching him with giant bags of weed and then fining him the minimum, telling him to go be a larger-than-life icon away from their laws.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I am really enjoying barrel aged beers right now. I prefer them to be well balanced compared to overly strong in the alcohol / taste department. And am very excited about the ability to age such beers.
My go to local brewery "Rök House" has an awesome RIS called "Sköl Krusher" they age in various whisky barrels from different distilleries... and to top it off they are all 10.5% and higher... Yum!
oh and as far as what tobacco this would be... well I would have to definitely say SG Black XXX rope! ... another Yum!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I did not know Abita was a Louisana beer. The only thing I see here in FL by them is TurboDog which I like but don't love but at least its not an IPA or other super hoppy variant. Bayou Tech LA31 Stout intrigues me. I love a good stout and it makes me think of the books I"m reading (Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke).
Abita is produce by the Abita Brewing Co., Abita Springs, LA - about 27 miles from my house to the brewery. They have a good restaurant if you don't mind the long wait to get a table.
LA 31 Stout is a milk stout brewed in honor of the 31 US Services members (including the K9) who were lost on Aug. 6, 2011. According to the brewery proceeds from the LA 31 Stout are donated to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation and to the 31Heroes Project.
Bayou Teche Brewery is located in Arnaudville, LA (about 30 miles from Lafayette, LA) and their property is along the bayou. If you are in the area on a Saturday they do free live tours and they usually have live Cajun music and food for sale. They also have a small tap room where you can buy beer on premise.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I had tried this beer here in Texas called Mississippi mud its really good its a mix of ale and pilsner and its in a jug have any of you guys tried it? I find it pleasant with English tobacco

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Ironically, Mississippi Mud Black & Tan was brewed in New York. I bought it once for the novelty of the jug but prefer to make my own Black & Tan.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Abita makes some quality beers. 27 miles isn't that far to drive, right?
I've seen the Mississippi Mud before. Distinctive packaging, which makes me avoid it. But with English tobacco, many beers are delightful.
All my favorite beers are from England, Germany and Mexico, so I sort of overlook the Texas beers. In 1990, everyone hip drank Rolling Rock; in 2000, it was Pabst. Now it's cheesy IPAs.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Beer Isle? Grocery Store?
Sierra Nevada
Left Hand Brewing Milk Stout
Of course there's Coors.....Love the stuff in the summer.
Other than that I going to the Liqour Store, Samuel Smiths offerings are the best. Taddy Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Organic Chocolate Stout, Winter Ale, the list goes on and on.
Winter hits and its Bourbon and Absinthe. Latakia blends are the best with wine, Cabernet's, Merlot's and Malbec's. Zinfandel's occasionally.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Budweiser would be Captain Black. Shiner Bock would be maybe Frogmorton on the Bayou. Sam Smith Lane 1Q

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
There are 84+ craft breweries hear in the Portland area so I wouldn't know where to start with comparing them to tobacco. I could make some paring suggestions though.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If I understand this correctly, Deathmetal
Budweiser- RYO labeled as Pipe Tobacco
Shiner- Granger
Coors- Carter Hall
Sierra Neveda- Cornell&Diehl
Samuel Smith- GL Pease
Guinness-Dunhill

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
People get way to fancy with beer nowadays.
Agreed. American (U.S.) beer has always been compared to water up here in Canada, there's a big difference between American Bud or Coors and the Canadian brewed counterparts. I can't get into the froo froo beers, beer should taste like beer.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I can't get into the froo froo beers, beer should taste like beer.
That is too bad, as I love the funky stuff. Different strokes for different folks.
Last night I finished a Bersalis Tripel Oak Aged Sour Beer, what a taste treat! But it sure didn't taste like beer in the traditional al sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.