PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
sumusfumus -
Interesting site. Read thru all of it. Thanks,
I've been reading that site for a while.
I don't believe Jack London, Louis l'amour, Hemingway, were metrosexuals, or unmanly. And yet that blog suggests reading those authors.
It also has articles related to the art of self defense, hunting, archery, hiking, boating, and trout fishing.
BTW, I live in NY.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
After reading that blog post, I question whether the writer has ever smoked a pipe. Meerschaum is not a clay like material. It is not really more expensive than a good briar pipe.

Sure, maybe I'm nitpicking, but something about the tone of the article struck me as condescending.

Peck had the ultimate responce to ALL manliness threads, and it cracks me up everytime I read it. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-dying-art-of-manliness#post-634604

But, Jack London and Hemingway are obvious Hipster books. In fact the newest hipster used book store/exotic coffee shop in town even has a special section of Hemingway. But, I also enjoy their books, even if they are "hip."

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Well, even though I am not Hemmingway's hugest fan, and even though he was a hipster, I do have to say he did at least wrap his fried fish in bacon, along with everything else. That is something only a man would do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Manliness can be a good thing. Right now it seems to result as in many prematurely dead people and much mutilation as it does in healthy live births. That sort of un-sells the product. Maybe "humanity" should be the emphasis right now.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hemingway a hipster?? I thought he died before hipsters became a thing.
Anyway, for amusement, a three year old thread is linked above, and it in turn links to a four year old one.
And, yes, Peck's retorts are among the best.
Off to the hairdresser's now....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, close, but no cigar! The reasoning: "hipster" has a negative connotation for many, and is a fairly new term, no? Or maybe I am picking nits, and he was a lot closer to the modern term than I had thought.
Was Scott Fitzgerald hip? I dunno.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Please join me in a viewing of The Lumberjack Song, followed by reciting the Red Green Man's Prayer:
I'm a man

but I can change

if I have to

I guess...
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny about Hemingway and Gertrude. He discarded her along with other mentors, Sherwood Anderson, etc. But if you read her work (as much as you can stand for its repetitiousness) and then read some of the best of Hemingway, stories and early novels and selected later work, you realize that he learned a lot from her musical cadence in prose. He'd probably break my face at the accusation, but he made wonderful use of her innovation, and did far better work with it.

Good stuff, MSO. Stein did more to bring together different brains to set forth the new age of modernism in the 20th century than any other thinktank. Surrounding herself with artists, musicians, writers, poets, philosophers, and people of every aspect of humanity, she inspired the modern age, beyond just the Arts, but set forth the foundations of the way modern man thinks and behaves. And, to think that the early days of these brainstorms took place in brothels. Ha ha.
Everyone eventually fell away from Stein, even her most adoring follower, Pablo Picasso (The Bull), but her seeds of creativity were sewn, and she is entwined in all of 20th century thinking, technology, style, and aesthetic.

"No one ever called Picasso an asshole"

Pablo-Picasso-wearing-a-hat-and-holding-a-revolver-and-holster-provided-by-Gary-Cooper-Cannes-1958-Image-via-imgurcom.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Oh yes you can! Well I can, anyway. But Hemingway became this larger-than-life character, much because of his drunk behaviour. Which luckily didn't stop him from writing, which it would have, had he been hungover all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.