PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Very nice! Amazing how pretty the flowers are.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It has inspired me to give it a shot next growing season.

I'm planning on giving Grapes another try also since I failed this year with cutting my clones wrong.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the update Cosmic. It looks like your tobacco crop did very well. Looking forward to seeing how the curing process goes. :puffy:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
They are not cured yet, but I have been enjoying a bowl here and there. Not bad.
Cosmic, your results look really great & I'm sure it was fun making them happen! Now you can play with pressing & curing what you have grown.
Have you tried a chew yet? The pic of the cooler reminds me of my days reaching into a Redman Loose Leaf foil pouch...I don't do that any longer.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Cosmic, sounds about right, especially with Redman Loose Leaf. We didn't have the little Skoal Bandit starter kit in lil' bags like kids do today.

I dry them till they are about 80% dry, everything dry except the rib down the leaf. Time just depends on your environment. We've had some extreme heat, but luckily our humidity has stayed around 90-100%.
The curing process is just to push off the ammonia and harshness from the leaf, making it milder and bringing the sweetness of the leaf up. I will then start the age cure, which will bring out the vinegary aromas. There are many different ways to cure the leaf, and I will probably try several methods since I have a fairly large harvest.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
"I will post back when I start the cure process"
Hey Cosmic, If you have them hanging in your shed you've already started!

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Actually the line is pretty clear. Once you cut the tobacco and hang it up you are curing it. After about 4 to 8 weeks (when the mid rib is dry) it is cured. After that you can sweat it, ferment it, kiln it or natually age it. The sweating/fermenting/kilning/aging is what releases the ammonia.

Today is Virginia rope twisting day..

F0990D69-6119-4B17-AACB-254AA3AE3DB6_zpsrntv8muz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.