PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclesam54

Lurker
Nov 12, 2014
well hello fellow pipe smokers, it has come to that time of year where i live when being outside for a long period of time isnt favorable. Now as much as i enjoy the smell of a good smoke, my wife on the other hand does not. dont get me wrong she likes the smell of my tabacco but she does not want our guests to smell it when they come over. now ive tried candles and different kinds burning scents to try and clear it up but with no luck( having the window open and a fan blowing is about the same as being outside in 20 degree weather). does anyone else have this problem too? and if so is there a way to take care of it so my wife can be happy so i can be!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
unclesam54:
Do you have a garage? If so, then may I suggest that you place a chair there and make it your cold-weather smoking spot? After you've finished a bowl you can open the overhead door briefly to ventilate the aroma to the great out-of-doors. I do this, and, with a coat on, find it to be quite comfortable, particularly compared to smoking on the back piazza which is not enclosed.
As for "That Wonderful Pipe Smell," the official name for it is Pipey Goodness!

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I recently purchased a cheap Holmes air purifier/ionizer at a thrift store for 5 bucks. It needs a new filter, but even so, I smoked H&H Black House in my craft room, turned it on overnight and next day, absolutely no aroma present.

shelbyred94

Lurker
Nov 30, 2014
I smoke in the garage...at least the wind is blocked. My husband doesn't find the smell of the smoke as intoxicating as I.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Here's my newest attempt to solve the problem:
Fan_S.JPG

That's an old leaf from a table with a 110 volt fan from an old computer, blowing outwards. There's a cover that slides over the fan when not in use. I also drilled three 3 1/2 inch holes in the wooden storm window and covered that with screen material.
It seems to work pretty well. At least the complaints aren't as loud any more. It's only gotten down to the low 20's so far here, so I haven't really seem how it will do when it gets cold. It is backed up with a pretty heavy duty air purifier though.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'll assume your friends know about you smoking a pipe so there should be a predisposed expectation for what they'll encounter when they visit. I smoke in the yard in the good weather and garage in the cold months so it isn't a real issue here. as long as your wife is cool with it don't worry. If your friends don't like it I see two choices: 1. visit their homes and 2. get new friends. Just kidding, of course.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My wife used to hate the smell of cigars and since I quit cigars and moved to pipe full time her prejudices has follows suit. Last night we got in my truck and she wrinkled her nose and proclaimed "It smells like pipe!". Now my wife is an avid shopper of both Bath and Body Works lotions and Scentsy candles and we made an unspoken agreement that she doesn't badmouth my piping and I don't discuss how our bathroom smells like a house of ill-repute. That being said I am "not allowed" to light my pipe with her in the truck and neither of us smoke in the house. Next year I'll have my "Man-Shed" where I will puff my pipes to my heart's content.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Reminds me of the time a Cajun got on the Airplane and sat by a Ritzy lady, looked at her and said Mah Dat Smell good Cher, she haughtily said Cartier Eu De Purfume. Later in the Flight he let out a big greasy one, Ritzy lady said what is that smell? Cajun said Opelousas"s Best yams and Jax Beer. :rofl:

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
An ozonator works well. You can buy them cheap from China via Ebay. Put it on a timer and close the doors because ozone is toxic to breathe. Does a great job at eliminating odors. Add a ventilating fan and you are all set... and don't smoke Latakia in the house!

Status
Not open for further replies.