PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I recently heard of putting the turkey in the oven the night before but at only 200 degrees, thus keeping your kitchen not hot as hell and also keeping the bird moist. I’d like to try it, but I’m not cooking this year

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have to roast the turkey and make the stuffing. I brine the turkey for 48 hours in an apple cider, 4 Granny Smiths puréed, 32 cloves of garlic, red pepper flake and some herbs and of course salt and water brine. No bag, roast open, pull when thigh is 163 degrees, cover and let rest for one hour. The stuffing is a Parmesan artichoke sourdough stuffing. 🤤
Sounds great! I brine very similar. Dressing includes diced Granny Smith, sausage (sage and spicy), onion, celery, diced fresh sage, dried cranbeerries,butter, turkey stock, and cider....

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Spatchcock the bird. Rub herbed butter under the skin. Salt and lightly oil the skin and let it go overnight in the fridge. Cooked on the Weber (charcoal) with apple smoke wood. Tasty and cooks in about 90 minutes. It also frees up the oven so the sides are all done at the right time. I used to brine but this gives me better results with less mess. YMMV.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The only real family tradition is eating. This will be my first family Thanksgiving since 2019. Everyone knows how to cook, and the desserts are truly insane. I've volunteered to make the mashed potatoes, and to offer kitchen duty.

In the past I've done the whole nine yards, from home made breads and rolls, stuffing, various and sundry cassaroles, THE BIRD, pretty damned good scratch made cranberry sauce, etc, etc, etc. Did it for years, so it's kinda nice to be able to help out, but not be the whole brigade.

BTW, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Silverback

Might Stick Around
Feb 26, 2019
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
The four of us draw slips of paper out of a hat that have the dishes and other table items written on them. It ranges from side dishes and desserts to cocktails and table treatments. What ever you get you make...no complaints or swaps. The turkey isn't in the draw so the young's won't need to stress and we'll have a proper turkey. This makes for a good bit of creativity with still needing to stick to tradition...somewhat. When someone gets a dish or side that they don't really like or eat usually it can give them the opportunity to make something amazing or it can be hilarity. The most fun happens in the kitchen. Everyone has their dish and their own timeline...not much is co-ordinated between us other than when the bird will be done. Complete MAYHEM! It's fantastic! We don't have a large kitchen but somehow everything turns out amazing and gets to the table perfectly (kinda) on time and we have a wonderful Thanksgiving meal. Our favorite meal of the year! This year I have corn, corn bread, charcuterie board and the center piece. I got off easy.

My hack is...have fun...let the good times roll. Memories are precious!

Reactions: Laurent and jpmcwjr