PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
Title edited for caps and brevity. Original:
"Thanksgiving hacks (for those celebrating the holiday)"

We will brine a turkey for 24 hours, then cover it with a 1 to 2 ratio mix of maple syrup and butter. Stuff some of the maple butter under the skin to really get a nice moist meat. Cover the bird with aluminum foil if it starts to brown too early. The maple syrup flavor comes through in the meat. Key is to use the drippings to make gravy. It adds a nice maple undercurrent.

Long time family tradition my mom passed on the me is Tomato pudding instead of relish. Simply take approximately equal parts of tomato purée, brown sugar, and butter. Add in some torn up bread to hold it together and bake until slightly browned.

Any hacks, tricks, or traditions you all follow?

Last edited by a moderator:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I haven’t had Turkey for thanksgiving in roughly 20 years.

Instead, I make a nice big elk/beef roast with all the trimmings.

I also make biscuits and sausage gravy.

The biggest hack is I do not have a schedule for thanksgiving.

I tell any people that want to come over that they can arrive any time after 8am and leave any time before 8pm.

Stay for 5 minutes or five hours. I do not care.

Since there is no pressure on times it works great for everyone.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
We're doing Cracker Barrel this year. The lady of the house and I just wanted quiet time to ourselves and the kids (four legged ones included) versus a mountain of dishes to deal with over the weekend.
Love Cracker Barrel, and now that they serve beer there...I drink Blue Moon with my meals when dining in. It's what my daughter wants for Thanksgiving and I'm fine with that. KIMG1362.JPG

Last edited:

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I have to roast the turkey and make the stuffing. I brine the turkey for 48 hours in an apple cider, 4 Granny Smiths puréed, 32 cloves of garlic, red pepper flake and some herbs and of course salt and water brine. No bag, roast open, pull when thigh is 163 degrees, cover and let rest for one hour. The stuffing is a Parmesan artichoke sourdough stuffing. 🤤

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I haven’t had Turkey for thanksgiving in roughly 20 years.

Instead, I make a nice big elk/beef roast with all the trimmings.

I also make biscuits and sausage gravy.

The biggest hack is I do not have a schedule for thanksgiving.

I tell any people that want to come over that they can arrive any time after 8am and leave any time before 8pm.

Stay for 5 minutes or five hours. I do not care.

Since there is no pressure on times it works great for everyone.
This sounds like a relaxing Thanksgiving.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've found that if you let the kitchen staff and waiters know in advance that they'll get an extra hour off the next day, both the service and food seems a bit more inspired and the flowers better arranged.

View attachment 263048
Damn, I have no staff at all. But that gorgeous setting looks- from the portraits- in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving.....