PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Hello all,
With the ordering of my new Peterson Dracula, I was searching for an "appropriate" tobacco to smoke through it for fun. What I stumbled across was Tewksbury & co's Nosferatu blend. In my mind, these these two are just "begging" to be paired for a fun night of pipe smoking. :lol:
However, with VERY little time in the hobby, and having no idea of what blend types I favor, I have decided to come to all of you for opinions.
Has anybody tried the Nosferatu blend? If so, what did you think?
Tewksbury & co. are probably most known for their blend known as Hobbit's Weed. Heck, the blend names alone for these two tobaccos have me curious to try them both, and see what I think.
What say you, any thoughts on these blends?

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
It's my understanding that Hobbit's Weed is sort of a cherry aromatic, something that doesn't generally receive good reviews in the pipe smoking community. Just the little bit of research I did on the Nosferatu makes it sound more appealing, though the black licorice was a bit of a put off for me. Never tried either of the blends though, so take my words how you will.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Hobbit's Weed is a typical cherry blend to me, ok but nothing great and I doubt that I would order it again and really don't see why it gets the good reviews it does. Nosferatu, on the other hand, is a very good english style blend. The licorice is there, but is way in the background to me. If you like latakia, I would recommend it for a change of pace. It's not an all day kind of smoke but has become part of my regular rotation.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Thanks for the info everybody. Cherry blends don't seem to be my thing either, as I am coming to pipes from cigars (and cigarettes before that), so I like the actual taste of tobacco.
Just like coffee, I like it plain, with no flavoring, so I can taste what I am having. No hate on those that like cherry blends, or flavored coffees...I just find natural flavors to be more to my liking. I always think it's funny when someone gets a cup of coffee, loads it up with sugar filled & flavored creamers, and then start to proclaim how good their coffee tastes. I think to myself "How do you know what the coffee actually tastes like with all of that stuff in it?".
I have VERY limited experience with pipe tobacco (I have only tried four OTC blends thus far) but I assume the whole "added flavoring" carries over into pipe tobaccos as it does with coffee and cigars. Most cigar smokers do not like infused (flavored) cigars that have been coated with flavoring/sugar to impart a taste, and in fact, will refuse to even put an infused cigar in their humidors as it may "taint" the others that reside in there with it.
Personally, I never buy any infused cigars, and consider most of them to be aimed at people who generally aren't "cigar hobbyist/collectors" and more for smokers who want to pick up an occasional cigar at the local pump and pay, simply because they are in the mood to smoke a cigar. I don't think there is anything wrong with that (I used to do that a lot), it's just not the same as having a nice Rocky Patel while sitting, and having good conversation among friends. :)
EDIT: I hope this post doesn't offend anyone, or come off as being a "tobacco snob". I assure you, that is NOT my intention at all. If you are a person who loves cherry blends and flavored lattes, then I am happy for you. I just like the "plain jane" stuff myself. It's the natural flavors that I am looking for, that's all I am trying to say. :)
Still though, having said all that, I am curious to try both of these blends (and most likely will) regardless. Hobbit's Weed gets a lot of "press" due to its popularity (some of which I am guessing is probably due to the name), and well...a blend named Nosferatu! How cool is that?! :mrgreen:

toadie

Lurker
Jun 30, 2012
I don't remember the smell of Nosferatu off the top of my head, but you might as well give it a shot. Hell, if anything it'll give you a cool story.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
If you're attracted to Hobbit's Weed on the basis of the relation to the Lord of the Rings, I would suggest you rather check out the Middle Earth Pipeweed Series. These series is five blends by Just For Him that are extremely well received. Personally, I recommend Shortcut to Mushrooms. Ruins of Isengard is also a big hit. They even have a sampler of all 5 blends in the series for a pretty cheap price, though the quantity of each blend in the sampler is a bit lacking in my opinion.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
It's my understanding that Hobbit's Weed is sort of a cherry aromatic, something that doesn't generally receive good reviews in the pipe smoking community
I couldn't disagree more with this statement. For the aro loves among us (like me), this stuff is Paradise (not to be confused with Paradise from Boswells, which is also paradise). Hobbits Weed is almost the holy grail for me and many many others that enjoy aros. If you don't enjoy aros, then of course you wouldn't like like.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Hobbits Weed is almost the holy grail for me and many many others that enjoy aros. If you don't enjoy aros, then of course you wouldn't like like.
I think your love for this blend has muddied your idea of what I was actually saying. I too, enjoy aromatics. I never said that I did not in my post. I was referring to the fact that even aro lovers don't generally enjoy cherry-flavored blends (most taste like cough syrup to me). But I also acknowledged that I have never had this blend and thus my words should be taken with a grain of salt.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
thanks for the clarification. I think I misunderstood you to say that Hobbits Weeds generally doesn't receive good feedback. My experience has been the opposite from that. But it sounds like you said "cherry aros" don't get good feedback. And that I partially agree with. Some do, some don't. Hobbits Weed, Berry Cobbler from Boswells generally do and I've seen many others that don't. Cheers Homeatsea.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Cheers friend,
All this talk about Hobbit's Weed had me looking through Tewksbury & Co.'s selection again. Think I'm going to pick up some so I can try it for myself. A few others have my eye too. Decisions, decisions.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Doesn't Dracula have a profound Rumanian accent? Just to get in the right part of the world, unless

someone knows of some Rumanian blend, I'd go for Turkish or Balkan emphasis, of which there are

several. Alternately, since Dracula has these courtly manners, maybe a high church English blend.

I'd say, click through the Pease catalog and follow your heart. After all, that's where the bloood flows

thickest.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I stopped by Tewksbury yesterday after class (advantage of having classes downtown) and picked up some Hobbit's Weed and I must agree that while it is tasty, it is more novelty and much rather prefer JFH Middle Earth series ... specifically Shortcut to Mushrooms and Ruins of Isengard. The other JFH blends of the Middle Earth series are either ok or forgettable. I actually poured the others together.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have a couple different blends coming next week from this company. I believe hobbits weed is included. I am not an ARO fan but I will give it a shot and let you all know how the other blends are as well.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It isn't overpowering with it's cherry casing, but it is present. I like it ok. the JFH Middle Earth series is better as far as LOTR inspired/named blends go.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I Tried Hobbits Weed and it isnt at all like a standard cherry blend although there is definitely cherry in it. the flavor is more like a cherry vanilla yogurt as its smooth creamy and mild. i enjoyed it more for its characteristics meaning it was a very easy smoke never got hot at all. It isnt an all day smoke for me because it lacks the nic hit i need but it is in my rotation for as long as i have it because this stuff is hard to get if you live in Canada. But like i stated in my semi review its the best Cavendish Based Cherry Blend I have smoked to date.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
While I was picking up the Hobbit's Weed for Smokey I bought some Celtic Blend for myself and am rather enjoying it. They describe it as a spicy English. I don't find it very spicy, but instead a very smooth medium English. Haven't tried anything else yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.