New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I visit the Briary, I tend to get into an argument with Skip. Not an angry argument, but… more of a debate. I walk in, and hear, “There he is… Cosmic, Cosmo, Michael, the metallurgy artists…” and whatever else he thinks will berate me amicably. He is a good guy. Then usually Skip fills me in on what pipes are new, maybe a new one he has made, or just something new in the pipe world that he hushes me to absolute secrecy about. Keeping the dirty little secrets about who is having their pipes made for them and who sucks at making pipes.

Skip knows my preferences and the pipemakers I think are asshole fakers. Some pipemakers he makes assumptions as to what I feel about them. Todd Johnson, for example, being a running joke between us. He assumes I hate the guy, and I just don’t have any feeling whatsoever towards. But, it is a source of backslapping.

Somehow, we got on a debate between Tinsky pipes and Briarworks pipes. Is it better to come up with an awesome stem design and then have it mass produced as Mark does, or to just make mediocre stems by hand for each and every pipe… referring to the gradation of the draft and the funnel at the button. I’ll let you guys decide for yourselves on that, but this all led to a knew topic, the tenon end of the stem.

So after telling me how hard it is to drill the draft in gradations, and then polishing the insides, drilling out the funnel and blah blah blah… poor, poor pipemakers have it so hard… he then pulls a tenon out of a Tinsky and a Briarwork. With the BW having a funnel drilled into the end of the tenon that goes into the stummel, and the Tinsky having no funnel at the tenon, just flush flat at the draft. Skip is all, “this little detail was left off of the Tinsky…”

Me, “But, five minutes ago, you told me that it was best to have the draft hole be flush with no places to cause turbulence to increase condensation within the draft?”

Skip, “It is, but it is a detail that is used by all of the top end pipemakers, so they have to know what they are doing.”

Me, “OK, well lets check. Would you say that Beckers are top end smokers with all of the best details?” I was baiting him, because I knew that NONE of my Beckers had that stupid little funnel at the tenon. So, we check all of the Beckers, and not a one had a funnel.

“What about Castello? Does he know what he is doing? Former?” We checked and low and behold all of what Skip would argue are top end best smokers were all flash at the tenon. Skip then pulls out a few expensive pipes that aren’t necessarily “best smokers.” And, all of them had funnels drilled into the tenon. It felt good to get Skip against the ropes and beat on him a bit. He has been a pipemaker and pipeshop owner since ’72, so I figured soon enough; I would take a few punches on this. Luck must have just been on my side. Maybe I am completely wrong, but I had “called it” in the first round.

So, the argument is that the goal of the “best” draft hole is to have no wide spots where turbulence can occur to increase the chance of increased condensation. Fig A & B

But, if you drill a funnel at the tenon end, you get an open space. Fig C

Skip, “But, sometimes the tenon is not deep enough to reach the bottom of the tenon.”

Me, “that is a sign of an even WORSE pipemaker, in my opinion. If the pipemaker can’t make this meet up, then they suck on multiple levels.” Fig D
...or, if the draft in the stummel is too wide Fig E

Wham, Pow, he rolls his head… he slides down the ropes…. he goes down… 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7…

Now, I have pipes with these stupid little funnels drilled in the ends, but my best pipes don’t. I don’t notice all of the funnel drilled pipes gurgling like mad, and in fact some are some of my favorite smokers. But, these do tend to have some moisture that makes it’s way down the draft. The argument was merely the natural divergence that started with what makes the best stems.

Skip crawls back up the ropes and adds one last attempt… “well, the flat bottomed tenons collect gunk.”

Me, “why would they collect gunk if they are pushed flush against the back of the mortice?”

Me, “And, if so, then the gunk on the funnel drilled tenons collects inside the stem… right?”

Skip, graciously throws in the towel.

What do you think? Why in the hell would a pipemaker think that drilling a funnel into the back of the tenon is a sign of a well drilled pipe? Bring it on!! Ha ha puf

Last edited:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I believe the technical term for that funneling is “chamfering.” I’ve read about it and I’m interested to hear what everyone’s opinions are.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I for one agree that one long continuous passage is most conducive to a better than average smoke. This opinion is not just from my smoking experience but from principles that I have been applying professionally for decades.

Being a mechanical engineer in the HVAC trade for 40 years has taught me a lot about pipe (fluid carrying) and duct design (air flow). These lessons learned can easily apply to "pipes" of the tobacco smoking variety. It is rudimentary to say that changing sizes without reducing or increasing flow in relation to the change in size and creating what amounts to be a void in a carrier system, is not a good idea. Voids or unnecessary changes in size create turbulence and disrupt the flow of whatever medium you are moving, including air or smoke....Velocity also plays a part in this as a change in size of a passage or carrier causes a sudden decrease in velocity in the middle of the flow. This allows any kind of material or particles withing the flow to drop out and collect in the void. There are instances where this is desirable or necessary as in the case of filtered pipes but not as it applies to the higher end non-filtered pipes being discussed in the OP.

Now granted I am not a pipe maker nor will I ever be and I'm probably overthinking this. After all we are discussing small amounts of air moving at relatively low velocities. But the premise is the same. A continuous passage where the tenon meets the interior of the shank with no gaps or change in size or shape, is a better engineered passage and more inclined to provide a smoother smoke.

Let's face it, most of us gauge the quality of the design and engineering of a pipe by the way it is drilled. If you can pass a pipe cleaner from stem to bowl without obstructions or resistance, then at least it has been drilled correctly. IMHO, creating gaps with stupid funnels that are flowing in the WRONG direction is not a way to facilitate a well drilled pipe.

Reactions: briarbuck

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If I cared, I'd chose pipe A. But I am not real concerned about turbulence in the airway. More concerned about build up of tars and gunk, but since I flush frequently with hot water, no problem there.

Interesting debate!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Interesting. I would agree that tenon that is flush would create less turbulence, and hence be a better smoker. However, I'm unsure if I have any pipes that are flush. But then again I don't spend much money on a tool to get my nicotine. Haha.

You have too much time on your hands, and now I'm going to pull apart every pipe I have and look at the tenons....thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: scloyd and Casual
But I am not real concerned about turbulence in the airway.
As I have said, I have some favorites that have these funnels or chamfers. But, the sway of our arguments in the Briary, are usually of the ideology for high end variety. Like the one I posted about drafts entering the bowl at the bottom or the side of the chamber. Pipes that break the rules are sometimes favorites awesome pipes. But, for examining pipes that we are about to spend big bucks on, not just $300 or below, we might want to expect the best engineering... as wulfheard points out. But, a chamfer is not a deal killer for something my heart is leaning towards anyways.

Just pipe engineering posturing... puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Let's face it, most of us gauge the quality of the design and engineering of a pipe by the way it is drilled.

That's but one aspect.

If you can pass a pipe cleaner from stem to bowl without obstructions or resistance, then at least it has been drilled correctly.

Usually, but not necessarily!

You have too much time on your hands, and now I'm going to pull apart every pipe I have and look at the tenons....thanks.
Ha ha, I did that too, as soon as I got home. I wasn't surprised. Factory pipes tend to be chamfered, with a few high end artisan pipes that surprised me, especially of the Italian variety. But, Itallian high ends tend to let me down occasionally when it comes to what I would think to be "best practices" in pipemaking.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The debate is all a load of crap. Briar expands and contracts with temperature and humidity and you're never going to have a flush fit all the time. Chamfer, schmamfer. Some of my best tasting pipes have a chamfer in the tenon and others don't. It might be critical on a complex hydraulic system, but on a pipe I don't experience the effect in any noticeable way.

But if one is devoted to this fantasy of an uninterrupted airway being an essential element for a successful smoking pipe, then buy yourself a Piersel, because that's what you will get. No intrinsically faulty mortise and tenon joinery. Just a steel lined airway from the chamber past the end of the shank to form a reverse tenon onto which goes the stem. One smooth polished long uninterrupted airway that's a breeze to keep clean and really delivers the flavors straight out of the bowl.
Just added another Piersel to the pile while at the WCPS.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
The debate is all a load of crap. Briar expands and contracts with temperature and humidity and you're never going to have a flush fit all the time. Chamfer, schmamfer. Some of my best tasting pipes have a chamfer in the tenon and others don't. It might be critical on a complex hydraulic system, but on a pipe I don't experience the effect in any noticeable way.

But if one is devoted to this fantasy of an uninterrupted airway being an essential element for a successful smoking pipe, then buy yourself a Piersel, because that's what you will get. No intrinsically faulty mortise and tenon joinery. Just a steel lined airway from the chamber past the end of the shank to form a reverse tenon onto which goes the stem. One smooth polished long uninterrupted airway that's a breeze to keep clean and really delivers the flavors straight out of the bowl.
Just added another Piersel to the pile while at the WCPS.

Agreed. I also enjoy stainless tenons that some makers utilize on their “pencil shanked” models.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Some of my best tasting pipes have a chamfer in the tenon and others don't.
I believe I have said this exact same thing. There are so many variables. Maybe having a good absobant cake in the stummel side draft makes up for any moisture that happens in the chamfer. Maybe the briar is just more exceptional. But, if we totally disregard (what has become called engineering in the draft) then what the hell is it that would make one pipe better than another? The finish and stain? The draft and bit is where the rubber meets the road.

I have several pipes with a stainless steel draft. Regina Scarlotta puts them in his drafts also. I love the way it strengthens a pencil thin shank. I have a Jesse Jones dublin and a Growley bamboo that has this also. I think it idealizes the whole debate.

Reactions: sablebrush52

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
Much of this is opinion, my own included. And as I stated, I am probably, no...most undoubtedly, overthinking this. I believe the OP is just a little something to have fun with rather than anything scientific or truely valid...They way a pipe smokes whether the tenon is chamfered or flush has a lot to do with the individual's ability to smoke a pipe properly and or their perception on what a good smoke should be.

Also as SableBrush52 states different materials expand at different rates and a once well joined tenon to mortise may not be so well joined during smoking. But just to throw another wrench in this.. ?. How much expansion are we talking here?...If you smoke a pipe properly, theoretically it shouldn't heat up that much, (theoretically). So again how much expansion are we actually getting? I suppose it depends on the smoker, his or her technique and his choice of tobacco. If you smoke some horrible, haystack, cherry flavored aro then you might be more concerned about burning your fingers rather than what's going on inside the shank of your pipe...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: sablebrush52
How much expansion are we talking here?...If you smoke a pipe properly, theoretically it shouldn't heat up that much, (theoretically).
This thought did pass through my sieve of a brain as well. You really shouldn't be letting your pipe get hot enough that if you pressed it against a sleeping baby that it will feel it. Or, that is what I keep hearing, but I am slap out of sleeping babies... thank god!

And, wood expands against the grain, not lengthening it with heat or water. So, really you shouldn't have any noticeable expansion, unless your stummel is dropping off as you smoke it.

But, all in all, yes, just chewing gum for the brain. Most of us can smoke a pipe well enough that a little chamfer shouldn't cause Niagra Falls down our stems. puffy

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
If a pipe maker does NO chamfering work at all, the end of the tenon will be rough, sharp, etc and cause condensation. You have to hit it with something, whether you round if off like tinsky, leave it pretty flat but not sharp a la dunhill, or knock a bigger "cone" into it like many Castellos. Size of tenon is a factor, size of airway is a factor, how the pipe is drilled is a factor. Yes, in a best-case scenario your close-up diagram b is probably best. But in the real world it's problematic because of briar movement, moisture and junk (pretty soon you can't put that pipe back together properly) etc, so other little practical cheats come into play. I chamfer bent and straight pipes differently depending on drilling location in the mortise floor, for example.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Yes, the pipes that we broke down and examined had a been obviously finished on the end of the tenon, but no real "funnel."
But, I am not sure how the width of the tenon would matter if the draft continues as the same diameter.

Skip mentioned that sometimes the drafts might not line up and was why he drilled his that way. But, my counter was that if the draft doesn't line up, more is wrong with his pipe than just the funnel. puffy

But again... all just theoretical brain fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.