Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
That's was my thinking as well. I've tried most of the GL Pease blends, whereas I've only tried tried them five Drucquer blends. I've noticed they're less Latakia oriented than most Pease blends.
It's more of an observed pattern than a rule, but it seems like Pease has been putting out new blends containing Burley instead of Orientals under the resurrected D&S brand. Which aligns with a lot of their classic blends.

Reactions: logs and jbfrady

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
For those of us relatively new tithe game, D&S is GLP/C&D correct?

Were/are there any D&S blends that aren’t GLP blended?
D&S is blended and packaged to Greg Pease's recipes and suggested processes. D&S was a reputed shop back in the day and Greg Pease frequented the place when he was in college in the 70's. He began working there and coming up with blends for them. To my knowledge, they're all vintage blends in that vein.

GLP came later, after the store closed. GLP blends weren't originally packaged by C&D (nor were the D&S, I believe) but those shifts occurred over time, much as happens with other brands.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
D&S is blended and packaged to Greg Pease's recipes and suggested processes. D&S was a reputed shop back in the day and Greg Pease frequented the place when he was in college in the 70's. He began working there and coming up with blends for them. To my knowledge, they're all vintage blends in that vein.

GLP came later, after the store closed. GLP blends weren't originally packaged by C&D (nor were the D&S, I believe) but those shifts occurred over time, much as happens with other brands.
I had read the backstory on Mr Pease and the shop, but it was unclear on if the shop blended their own tobaccos prior to closing, or is the brand naming a later nod to the shops existence and influence?

Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I had read the backstory on Mr Pease and the shop, but it was unclear on if the shop blended their own tobaccos prior to closing, or is the brand naming a later nod to the shops existence and influence?
Yes, but while he worked at the shop. It's kind of like how Russ Oulette went on to blend Hearth & Home but before that he blended in-house for a tobacconist. They both learned their trade/art/science by trial and error at the store level first, blending with resources whose limits were determined by what the shop could get, but with the benefit of immediate feedback from long-time patrons.

Ash Cooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2023
Greenville, SC
www.instagram.com
I think most of the distinctions arise from relative age. Greg Pease was a regular there when he was in college. Now being a day or two removed from his college career, the blends he conceptualized back then are still good of course, but they represent his early palette, as well as the market trends of that bygone era. His current catalog displays his development over time, as well as his reputation granting him a larger available array of ingredients.
Thanks for that description. Fascinating approach.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I believe many of the D&S blends (like Inns of Court and The Devil’s Own) predated Pease, and he learned how to blend them while working there. I’m not sure how many of them were actually originated by him before he and C&D resurrected the brand a few years ago. 1st Amendment, Merry Monk, King’s Fool, and a couple others are obviously brand-new GLP creations. 🙂

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I believe many of the D&S blends (like Inns of Court and The Devil’s Own) predated Pease, and he learned how to blend them while working there. I’m not sure how many of them were actually originated by him before he and C&D resurrected the brand a few years ago. 1st Amendment, Merry Monk, King’s Fool, and a couple others are obviously brand-new GLP creations. 🙂
Obviously yes lol. That, or Greg Pease is a vampire.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
1st Amendment, Merry Monk, King’s Fool, and a couple others are obviously brand-new GLP creations. 🙂
Which makes it even stranger. I understand resurrecting old blends using the name of a company that no longer exists. I find it curious that he releases completely new blends under the D&S name. What makes these new ones more of a D&S blend than a GLP blend? Is it simply for marketing purposes or is there some specific blending ethos.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Which makes it even stranger. I understand resurrecting old blends using the name of a company that no longer exists. I find it curious that he releases completely new blends under the D&S name. What makes these new ones more of a D&S blend than a GLP blend? Is it simply for marketing purposes or is there some specific blending ethos.
From what I understand, they are often similar blends to those released prior, only with new preparation. Turning ribbons into flakes, etc.

Reactions: logs

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I'm about to try Trafalgar and Levant. That will be all the traditional Englishes they produce that I've tried thus far. Can't wait. Some of them take a few days in the jar/multiple bowls to get the full experience out of them, but all have turned out to be wonderful in their own right.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Got around to trying Levant. From my very first bowl of it, it has been amazing. I've noticed certain Pease blends take a while to understand. This one doesn't. It's absolutely stellar. Reminded me a bit of Charing Cross, one of my favorite Balkan blends, but with darker Virginias. The latakia is very invloved without being overbearing. No it is not a lat bomb. The orientals really standout which I love. It's my favorite so far followed by Loch Ness, which works great as a morning smoke and probably is the most Virginia forward of them all.

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
Well I ended up ordering Loch Ness and Casbah. Loch Ness is an amazing, more Virginia forward Scottish/English. Its great for both mornings and evenings. I don't have enough jars/too much open to try Casbah, but I can't wait. Both are krumble kakes, one reason why I purchased them, the other being Gl Pease being an awesome blender. I want to look at Trafalgar next, but can easily see myself ordering more of what I already have. I tend to prefer fuller blends than Loch Ness, but it tastes so good and the burn is absolutely perfect on every smoke. I love it. I forsee Casbah being amazing. That's the theme with Gl Pease. Oh and I'll probably see what Merry Monk's about eventually.
The Merry Monk is a fuller body blend but not overpowering and still quite tasty.