hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Red Lion for a lighter english

Blairgowrie for a medium blend

Trafalgar for a heavier English

Inns of Court for a sweeter English
Well I ended up ordering Loch Ness and Casbah. Loch Ness is an amazing, more Virginia forward Scottish/English. Its great for both mornings and evenings. I don't have enough jars/too much open to try Casbah, but I can't wait. Both are krumble kakes, one reason why I purchased them, the other being Gl Pease being an awesome blender. I want to look at Trafalgar next, but can easily see myself ordering more of what I already have. I tend to prefer fuller blends than Loch Ness, but it tastes so good and the burn is absolutely perfect on every smoke. I love it. I forsee Casbah being amazing. That's the theme with Gl Pease. Oh and I'll probably see what Merry Monk's about eventually.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I wouldn't recommend anything to you without knowing something about your current preferences. What do you enjoy smoking?
Sorry, I missed your post at first. I enjoy lighter/medium Englishes for morning/afternoon. At night I much prefer heavier Englishes. I also enjoy the Gawith scented stuff, but that doesn't apply here.

Barkman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2023
Well I ended up ordering Loch Ness and Casbah. Loch Ness is an amazing, more Virginia forward Scottish/English. It’s great for both mornings and evenings. I don't have enough jars/too much open to try Casbah, but I can't wait. Both are krumble kakes, one reason why I purchased them, the other being Gl Pease being an awesome blender. I want to look at Trafalgar next, but can easily see myself ordering more of what I already have. I tend to prefer fuller blends than Loch Ness, but it tastes so good and the burn is absolutely perfect on every smoke. I love it. I forsee Casbah being amazing. That's the theme with Gl Pease. Oh and I'll probably see what Merry Monk's about eventually.
Those are the two D&S blends I haven’t tried yet lol. I hope you’ve tried Ten Russians or Nightwatch from Capt Earles if you enjoy fuller blends. Ten Russians is probably, one of the best full englishes I’ve tried.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Sorry, I missed your post at first. I enjoy lighter/medium Englishes for morning/afternoon. At night I much prefer heavier Englishes. I also enjoy the Gawith scented stuff, but that doesn't apply here.
In that case, I would recommend First Amendment for your morning/afternoon smokes. I don't smoke English blends very often anymore, but First Amendment is one that I continue to enjoy.

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
Trafalgar is a very nuanced Turkish forward medium English. It comes off as a pleasantly complex blend, especially if you enjoy savory orientals. Casbah is a very Latakia forward blend, but each of its components gets its chance to shine as you burn through a bowl. I love it.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Regarding flavor, what differentiates Drucquer & Sons from GL Pease blends? is there a house style?

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Of the ones I've tried thus far, they are different enough from Gl Pease's line to make them worthy in their own right. As with Pease blends, many of them are spiced with Perique, something Gl Pease is known for. Some of them seem to be geared more towards Scottish blends in that they feature perique and are more Virginia forward than your typical English. Expect the quality of Gl Pease both in flavor and in how they burn perfectly. I highly recommend Loch Ness.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Some of them seem to be geared more towards Scottish blends in that they feature perique and are more Virginia forward than your typical English.
That's was my thinking as well. I've tried most of the GL Pease blends, whereas I've only tried tried them five Drucquer blends. I've noticed they're less Latakia oriented than most Pease blends.

Reactions: ClenchedBilliard

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I think most of the distinctions arise from relative age. Greg Pease was a regular there when he was in college. Now being a day or two removed from his college career, the blends he conceptualized back then are still good of course, but they represent his early palette, as well as the market trends of that bygone era. His current catalog displays his development over time, as well as his reputation granting him a larger available array of ingredients.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
That's was my thinking as well. I've tried most of the GL Pease blends, whereas I've only tried tried them five Drucquer blends. I've noticed they're less Latakia oriented than most Pease blends.
Well that's what I was thinking too, but Casbah begs to differ and has a good amount in it, which I like.

Reactions: logs