PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I hate those nasty little softies with a passion! I have yet in 40 years of smoking to clench my way through a stem.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I got an upper plate a couple of years ago. Ever since then I have been buying Oom Paul type pipes that I can hang lightly between my teeth, with the shank resting against my chin. I still smoke some straights too when I will have a hand free to hold when need be, but have never clenched on any type pipe.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
primarily a holder--clench only if no other way--i have both bents and straights, but i usually reach for a bent out of habit--
used to clench years ago--bit thru many, many pipestems

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Clenching tires my jaw out, so when I'm smoking a 1/2 bent or more pipe, I more "dangle" it than clench. But 9 out of 10 bowls I'm usually reading, so one hand is available to provide support, no matter the pipe.
Simon

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Roughly, 2/3rds of my pipes are straight stems, and 1/3rd bent.
I clench almost all the time, and only hold the pipe in my hand when I need my mouth to drink something or speak. Sometimes I even leave the pipe in when I speak, but usually remove it.
When I am smoking, I am frequently on the computer, or reading something, so my hands are busy with those activities. However, even if I am watching TV and smoking, I still clench just by habit.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I bit through my first stem last night -- the Frank medico I got last week. Though I kinda expected it -- after the 10,000th push-through of the wire brush came out -still- dirty but the pipe had lost enough smell to be smokable I'd probably weakened the heck of the thing.

briarbrother

Lurker
Dec 13, 2011
What are some of the best "bent clencher Pipes"? I am a new brair brother and getting used to the whole smoking process(tobacco,packing,cadence.etc) but I seem to prefer "clenching" a bent pipe in my mouth and "breath smoking technique" (seems to work well for me so far)instead of holding the pipe. I find that the pipe burns better,cooler and is more flavorful,,what does everyone else think? I have numerous pipes for a beginner, such as:
Peterson Flame grain 68 (my first pipe :)

Peterson Killarney (338) (P-Lip)

Peterson: Sherlock Holmes Smooth Brown Baskerville Fishtail

Peterson: Aran (B5) Fishtail

Savinelli Sandblasted "Collection 1999" (6mm)

Savinelli: Hercules Rusticated (320 EX) (smoke is hotter with balkan blends,..why is that?)

Savinelli Hercules Smooth (604 EX)
I really enjoy the Savinelli Hercules Smooth (604 EX) (OOM Paul) ,it is very comfortable in the mouth,smokes cool and has a large bowl..it is a little heavy, but is comfortable in the mouth. I am looking to add more pipes to my collection that are light in weight bent pipes (clenchers)..top 5 pipes??..I welcome all suggestions,tips,and recommendations???

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
@mjtannen - I would probably be puffing as a type this right now, but I worry too much about residue in my computer.
The fan sucks air in at a regular clip whenever the PC is on, and especially over time, the residue will build up on the internal hardware.
I like clenching, and my jaw tires out after a little while but it's still my preferred method.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I guess I'm a girly man then (and damn proud of it ;) ) because I'm a fan of bents. Just feel better in the hand (I don't clench at all). Although I'm really coming around to straight pipes. Also something I'm coming around to is rustication (hated that when I first started buying pipes but now I have several). Its amazing how tastes change.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I clench and smoke straight stem pipes only, bents are for "girlie men"

This happy "girlie man" likes to hold hands. All my pipes are bent and I only clench long enough to fumble around to find my pipe tool or turn the page.

Reactions: SaxonX

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I'm a confirmed clencher for the last 42 years. As far as styles of pipes, I have both straights and bents.
Smokey

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Full bents are my favorites. I love to insert pipe into mouth and forget it (-:

No Softees!!!

My current favorite is the Savinelli 614 shape. Smallish full bent billiard with a wide flat stem on most of the ones I have.

Just hangs with no effort and smokes...

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I'm mostly a holder. I find that when I clench I tend to smoke faster.

I like bents and straights though I do have more bents. :puffy:

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I like both straight and bent, and I clench sometimes and hand hold sometimes, just depends what I'm doing. I do use the rubber mouth pieces to cut down on teeth marks on my stems, it helps. :mrgreen:

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I clench I have both bent and strait. I use softies on my high-end pipes Because my teeth are sharp and scratch the steams easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.