PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My oldest son convinced me to get an IPHONE to text when we have down times for our frequent Hurricanes in Louisiana. I have a big Miller wall clock that after winding I have to eyeball it to make sure it's level. I pondered, does that IPHONE have a level indicator? Surenuff there is a free app, so I installed it. Won't tell the wife as she will use it on me to see if I'm on the level. :puffy:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I absolutely hate downloading anything on my phones but I do like Google Sky. Sit outside at night and check out the stars, constellations etc. Just point it at whatever piece of sky you're looking at, too easy. :clap:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I can't believe the Old Cajun got a smart phone. I've never owned one and hope I never do. I keep a flip cell phone in my truck in case I break down and need to call someone from the side of the road. It costs me $20 every three months, which has been a waste because I'm still yet to use it.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Didn't want one, my 3 kids browbeat into it for as I said Hurricanes when we are without power. I first gave it to my wife, she kept stealing my Rugby Samsung Flip phone so I had to learn to use it. Don't use the phone much. I used to use it to scare my dog Pmon, set the Alarm and when he was napping on old porch I would slide it underneath him, then I would light up and watch. He hated that. :laughat:

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I think the compass app that is already on the iPhone has a function that shows angle. It does't look like a carpenter's level, but it will tell you if your horizontal is at 180, etc.

If I didn't need a smart phone for work I would go back to a flip phone. A lot less distracting.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Pay phones and drinking fountains seem to have disappeared since cellphones and bottled water went on the market. What's up with that?

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm not sure that my wife ever thinks I'm completely on the level...I had a slide phone.The top slid up instead of flipping.I loved it but by wife pressured me into getting a smart phone.It's a lot more complicated than my old phone.I'm slowly getting used to it though'and actually starting to like it.I have some apps that let me keep track of the weather if we lose power.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
So, I downloaded the level APP also, played with it, and realized that the new deck is slightly off. Now, It's going to drive me crazy, ha ha.
I remember once comparing that level app to a real leveler and somehow it was wrong.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
JV you've given me a thought, I will compare it to a long carpenters level that belonged to my Grandfather. I could not use this on the clock because of the moldings. My small torpedo level pipe fitters use was in the barn.

When I first got my iPhone, I downloaded an APP that was supposed to turn it into scales. A jeweler constantly needs to weigh the minute differences in carats or pennyweights of stones and gold. Instead of carrying a phone and a digital scale in my pocket, I could just have one thing. But, the scales APP was just bunk. There is no way to turn your touch screen into a precise measuring device. And, I ended up looking like a moron walking around a gem show putting stones on my phone and arguing that their weights were wrong, ha ha. I think the scales APP was created to mess with idiots who sell drugs, ha ha.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
My "I" phone, I have it right here, very hi-tech, works great when the power is off. The County corner's number is in memory.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have resisted the technology and can barely use a fundamental android trac fone.

As for using a level to hang stuff on a wall, the walls and ceiling must also be square otherwise, eyeball allows for adjustments to provide the illusion.

I've hung a few mirrors.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
If you're using plaincode's Clinometer application for iPhone, there's a button at the top of the level screen ... "Calibrate." You'll get more desirable results using your phone as a level if you calibrate your phone with a real physical level tool. (You may have to re-calibrate every time you upgrade your device. I know I have.)
I managed to get away for the first several years of the 21st century without carrying a cell phone, though I wore an alphanumeric pager until about 2004. Then, at a time when my occupation was teaching the use of, troubleshooting and repairing personal computers, I received an iPhone as a gift from my employer right at the time they were released mid-2007. I've upgraded a number of times since; iPhone's become something of a Swiss Army knife to me. It's taken over the duties of the daily planner, the Rolodex, the travel alarm clock, pocket watch, calculator (even scientific in landscape mode), world atlas, camera and photo album, penlight, egg timer, voice recorder, portable audio player, music synthesizer, clinometer and dog whistle. It's also become a pocket encyclopedia, providing me with access (for better or worse) to an interface-rich Internet.
Oh, yeah ... it's a pretty decent cell phone. I can video conference with it, like Dr. Heywood had to go to a pay booth to do in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Though I respect the virtual virtues (heh heh) of the push button flip-phone, and I still harbor fond memories of getting three touch-tone Trimline extensions on a private line year ago, I strongly recommend to folks who can afford a decent plan to carry a smart phone (iPhone's my flavor of choice, though I have enough experience with various versions of Android to know it works pretty darned well). Even if you're a slow study with tech toys, you'll play with it over the months, and learn that it can be a very helpful and fun tool.
Just don't become completely dependent on it. :wink:

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
coffinmaker, that picture could be the cover of a dime store detective novel. If the pistol doesn't stop them, just hit them over the head with that phone.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
JV you've given me a thought, I will compare it to a long carpenters level that belonged to my Grandfather. I could not use this on the clock because of the moldings. My small torpedo level pipe fitters use was in the barn.
Any news?
If the pistol doesn't stop them, just hit them over the head with that phone.
:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.