Tea Making Method Requires a Pinch of Salt.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Apparently some boffin in the US says we've been making tea the wrong way as she says a pinch of salt is required to make the perfect cuppa :oops:

I've heard some yarns in my time but this one really tickles me.

And as for microwaving tea, surely that's a story for April 1st?

Jay.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I adopted the practice of putting a pinch in the coffee filter. It smooths it out nicely. Too much tastes fake. I presume it works on the same principle. Blocking taste receptors for bitterness. I put milk and sugar in teabso its probably a moot point.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve not done it myself, for years, but my parents and grandparents invariably added a tiny pinch of salt to every boiling pot, for tea, coffee, whatever.

They claimed it helped keep the pot or kettle from boiling over, by raising the boiling temperature.

I always took that idea with a grain of salt.:)

But it’s a widely used practice.

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
American microwaves are as powerful or moreso than eu models. 220 volts doesnt indicate cooking power. Wattage is the issue. Most all microwave brands use the same primary machinery built bu one or two companies. They are different wattage but voltage varies. I’m sure we have electricians here who can explain it technically.

But back to tea…Americans will trend towards microwave tea because for most tea is not important. A good kettle costs money and most dont bother.

Our microwave is only ever used for popcorn and reheating coffee that was left too long on the counter.
I put salt on pretty much everything, but I'm sorry, even putting salt in it, I can't bring myself to drink hot or even warm tea. It's just un-American. We throw that shit in the ocean and get cranked up on coffee in the mornings. puffy

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
This sounds silly. I drink about eight cups of tea a day and have never added salt.............
That said, I think I will add a pinch to my next cup, just for the hell of it.
My taste buds aren't what they used to be so I'll probably not notice a difference.

I have not tried to put salt in my tea ever yet.

Having said that … there are hundreds (If not thousands) of varieties of tea in the world and when combined with the brewing method it will possibly create millions of recipes, some of them with salt.

I do think a pungent earthy Pu Err may benefit with addition of salt. Or a sweet tea can have some complexity added with salt (Like a salted caramel)

I rarely drink my tea with milk and sugar but may add salt next time I do.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apparently some boffin in the US says we've been making tea the wrong way as she says a pinch of salt is required to make the perfect cuppa :oops:

I've heard some yarns in my time but this one really tickles me.

And as for microwaving tea, surely that's a story for April 1st?

Jay.
Bloody nutters here in the US lad. I do have to say, iced sweet tea is good. Give me a cuppa irish tea in the morning and I'm content.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
We're tea drinking Americans in this home, but then we're Anglican, so maybe that's it...

My wife typically brings me a cup at some point during my work day (I work from home), and then I typically have another at night.

We do boil water in an electric kettle, but then steep leaves in a proper pot (actually a Brown Betty from Stoke-on-Trent), and pour through a strainer.

I don't feel especially motivated to try salt in it.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I drink columbian coffee in the morning and black tea the rest of the day and evening. I don't put salt on anything and if a recipe calls for it I reduce the amount. Just not my preference in flavor. You might be surprised to learn that there was a tea drinking thread awhile ago and a great majority of forums members are tea drinkers ... even from the U.S. ! I have heard salt reduces the acidity of coffee especially percolated coffee. You might try a pinch of ground chicory root to boost flavor and remove acidity but be forewarned it is a diuretic. Its popular in the south and southwest U.S. and Mexico.