PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Does anyone here do taxidermy? I've prepared various birds and mammals skins for scientific study (i.e. museum collections), as well as skulls and skeletons. I'm getting back into skull work and plan to do an entire small mammal skeleton display (maybe a squirrel or raccoon). I can do deer "European" mounts and mounting of deer horns. So, I'm asking the question because I'm interested in more artistic mounts (life-like mounts).

Aug 1, 2012
I don't do taxidermy but I used to work at a wild game processing facility and I have skinned, caped and skullcapped many a beastie. Caping out a buffalo which had sat a bit too long was probably the most disgusting of them. I was also the guy who was responsible for cleaning up the heads to where the beetles could eat the rest and get them shiny clean for a European mount. My uncle used to own that business but now my future father-in-law, who is a taxidermist with some of his work in the Smithsonian, has it.
I wish you the best in this since it can be really enjoyable to work with. If you want my future FIL's info, feel free to PM me.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It is very intriguing to me, but I know nothing about it. As usual, I am interested to learn something about the subject...

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
This thread reminds me of the show oddities.
Lankfordjl, Do you have any pictures my friend? I would be very interested in seeing some that aren't deer heads.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I am currently getting a dermestid colony up and running. I haven't maintained one in probably 20 years.
Tanning hides has always interested me, but I know little about it. I'm wondering to what extent do hides have to be prepared for a full mount. Museum specimens require very little work - skinning, scraping, and drying is about it.
The last skin I was working was a freshwater otter - but it's in the freezer - the hypodermis is extreme!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I had to look up dermestid lol. My dad hunts and has helped his taxidermist a couple of times. I have no knowledge of tanning other than what I saw on How It's Made. If you want to see a crazy amount of taxidermy go to Cabela's some time. It is like a museum!
It was straight leather though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbTCeYwt_g

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
@photoman
All my skulls are in my work office. (I only have some butterfly and moth collections at home.)
And yes at times, I would fit right into Oddities - but I'm not as eccentric (i.e. I hate to use the word "strange" but...) as some of the customers on the show. Probably the job of "museum curator of nature history specimens" would best describe this aspect of what I do.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I understand as you are a biology teacher. That stuff interests you just as marketing tactics and SEO interests me. I was always terrible at science other than physics. I had zoology 1 over micro organisms and it ruined me. One of the most boring classes because all we did was memorize scientific names. It was mostly the teacher though. He would give people 0's for saying ZOO-ology instead of ZOE-ology.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I want to do first (this is a squirrel):
01H36a.jpg

then, a full mount...something like:

raccoon81.jpg

Ummm...sorry you that bad experience.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I would think it would be easier to do the fur one because they usually just use some sort of frame inside. I have heard piecing those bones together can be a real nightmare.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I like fine, detailed work. Articulating a skeleton is like model building...superglue, dremel tool, wire, screws, some woodwork...it's the fun side of biology for me.
I like to make most of what I use in these projects of mine...so I'm wondering how to make animal frames...maybe carving them from Styrofoam..?

Status
Not open for further replies.