PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickg

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
I was trying to do some research to find out how much TAR is in pipe tobacco vs cigarette tobacco and can't seem to find any information on the subject. Is there anyone out there that knows, or can steer me in the right direction.

crispy

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
It really depends on the blend as several different strains are used in pipe tobacco and they endure different treatments as well. I think the high temperature cured tobaccos have a lot of the tar and another ingredients roasted out of them while less treated blends are probably about the same as cigarettes.
In short there's no simple answer to that question as there are so many variables among pipe tobacco compared with cigarettes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Nickg you must keep in mind that pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco are completely different things.
First Cigarettes are intended to be used as a nicotine delivery system and have tons of additives.

Pipe tobacco focus is taste and not intended to be inhaled like cigarettes.
While the question may warrant an answer, it isn't one for this Forum.

It might surprise you to know that the most recent study of pipe smokers (conducted over 10 years, and unsponsored by the government or the tobacco industry) pointed out that pipe smokers live an average of 2 years longer than those that have never smoked.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Is it me or has there been a recent influx of people asking questions that make them look like they are from an anti smoking group? I mean really, who makes posts like this if they are truly interested in enjoying the greatest thing known to mankind?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
+1 Cigarmaster lol
Basically, the amount of tar does not matter, what you really want to know is the health risk. If your asking about tar and mean it, your probabley inhaling, please stop it. Find a stronger tobacco and don't inhale, you will enjoy it more and your body will thank you by not giving up on you (hopefully).

nickg

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
I don't inhale pipe tobacco like you would inhale a cigarette, I tried it and, as someone mentioned, all the great tobacco bouquet was lost. I do however french inhale on occasion (same as second hand smoke) and exhale naturally through then nose and mouth and I find this brings out all the great taste of the tobacco. I mentioned this (in different words) in an earlier post and was not sure if most seasoned pipe smokers do the same thing.

The reason I asked about the TAR was that someone asked me that question and I had no answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.