PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I was re-watching yesterday The Hobbit while smoking my Jirsa filled with FVF when I notice that during one of the first smoking sequences B. Baggins taps on the top of his pipe with two fingers of the same hand he is using to hold the pipe while drawing.
I tried myself, seems to help "relight" when the pipe goes a little off. Is this a common technique?
Just curious,
D :puffpipe:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Don't know if it's common, but I tap the bowl after tamping, to try and level the remaining tobacco...

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Called the carburator effect. A lot of pipers do this to momentarily constrict the airflow to the bowl, either with two fingers, or by palming the bowl, while clenched. Essentially, by momentarily restricting the airflow whilst pulling on the pipe with the mouth, the net result is to cause the tobacco on the sides of the chamber to come in contact with the ember. Stoking the embers, I call it. I read somewheres they had an experienced pipeman on the set of the LOTR to instruct the actors. He did well it appears.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
MO, the whole LoTR popularity has caused a huge disservice to pipe smoking.
I don't think the LoTR craze has necessarily been a disservice to pipe smoking. Sure, the popularity and prices of churchwardens have skyrocketed since the appearance of the pipes in the movies, but I think that even if only a few of the people who pick up a pipe because of the movies find it as enjoyable as many here do and become a part of the pipe-smoking community then the movies have at least drawn even.
As far as the fingers covering the bowl, I use this skill to add a little more flame to a bowl on it's way to going out. Be careful of your hand though, too much enthusiasm and you'll find your skin a bit warmer than is desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.