PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I've been smoking a pipe for nearly fifty years and, until quite recently, I always tamped to keep the tobacco burning. But, recently, I started to gently knock the ash from the bowl about halfway through the smoke and only tamp when I get near the end. It seems to me that this improves the flavor in the second half of the smoke and helps keep the pipe from overheating (tamping makes the tobacco burn hotter, IME).
Does anybody else do this?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Removing ash doesn't change how the ember is going unless there's a good breeze. If the pipe is already going fine, I pretty much don't tamp, but if it starts to wind down, a light tamp and a couple of big pulls often saves it. So, if tamping in that situation makes the ember hotter, all's good.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Thanks to the tips here by @npod I am now getting through all my bowls without a relight by hot tamping. Appreciate it!

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
@jpmcwjr
Removing the ash exposes the ember to more air, whether there's a breeze or not and, IME, a cooler smoke is a better smoke. Try it, you may like it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I agree that cooler is better, but exposing the ember to excess oxygen is counter productive. In other words, it gets plenty of air when drawn, but excess when there's a wind blowing over the chamber.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
@jpmcwjr
This thread is about what to do when your tobacco is no longer burning well. You can relight or tamp and I'm suggesting based on my experience that removing the ash may also work. I don't understand why you would think that it counterproductive to introduce more oxygen to an ember when it is burning low. More oxygen means it will burn better, which also means you may hot have to relight or tamp.
Again, I say give it a try before you knock it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't understand why you would think that it counterproductive to introduce more oxygen to an ember when it is burning low.
I don't. But dumping ash, unless extraordinarily thick or tamped too hard, doesn't increase the airflow to any meaningful degree. And, yes, it's been tried. I dump ash from time to time, but not "to increase airflow".
And as I pointed out, there are times when a layer of ash can mitigate the effects of strong winds.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Agreed, John. Personally I tamp as I feel it's needed, usually hot. Gentle tamp & relight of a cold bowl's a different issue, for me at least.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally use 2 fingers over the bowl to get it going again when it looks like it is going to die. I have been using this method for years. When I dump ash around the halfway point then I will do a cold tamp and relight my pipe.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
but some times I have to suck like a $5.00 hooker to revive it.
See? There's your problem right there...you really need to move up to higher class of...well, never mind :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.