PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I've noticed that quite a few forum members are also avid fishermen so I thought it might be fun to combine the two with some tall tales.
The only rule is the tall tale must include pipe smoking in some way.
Last summer I was fishing with my friend Bob, we were lazily casting with ultralight tackle. Bob pulled out his corn cob pipe and struck a match. No sooner had he blown it out after the char light when he hooked a fish...a BIG fish. The drag on the reel was screaming and just before he got spooled he managed to stop the fish. The battle was on. Bob would reel in most of the line and the behemoth would make another run that nearly spooled him. At one point the fish jumped and we could see it was a huge muskie. The rod doubled over, drag set just right and me steering the boat, Bob fought the fish till his fingers bled. Back and forth the battle between man and fish raged on with the 4 lb. ultralight line at the edge of breaking. Finally, after an almost 3 hour fight, Bob landed the 62 inch muskie. After releasing the fish and cursing that neither of us had brought a camera that day we noticed that the pipe was still lit. Bob bandaged his hand and enjoyed that last quarter of the fine blend.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
But you screwed up the opening of your tall tale. As I was taught long ago, a fairy tale starts with "once upon a time" and a sea story or tall tale begins with "You're not going to believe this shit."
And why were you fishing for Muskie with ultra-light gear?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
pappy, its a tall tale, not a fairy tale :)
Let's just say its based on a true story with some "embellishments" :roll:
C'mon guys...show us your "alternative facts"

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I smoked a pipe outside of a Long John Silvers once... does that count?
Pagan - is that a metaphor?

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
If I'm 6'7" isn't anything I say a tall tale?
Once upon a time I was lunting along the lake (Ponchartrain) when I reached down and pulled up a big bull redfish with my bare hands. That fish made five separate courtboullions which my friends and family enjoyed and we finished up with after dinner bowls of Penzance each time and there was plenty enough to go around.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
As I was taught long ago, a fairy tale starts with "once upon a time" and a sea story or tall tale begins with "You're not going to believe this shit."
Actually in Texas Tall Tales start with "No Shit! There I wuz...." Famous last words start with "Hold my Beer and Watch This Shit"

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Texas sounds a lot like my old neighborhood, where being a gentleman and protecting your lady usually started off with "you'd best stay in the truck for this..."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Using only one match, I always smoke my tobacco down to fine white ash.
Sounds fishy! :) But: I can do that for reals, though have to confess that after the one match, there's a half dozen relights with my Bic.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I did hear of one chap whom, whilst fly fishing, found a Dunhill billiard floating down the river.
Best catch he ever made I should think.

Status
Not open for further replies.