PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Meerschaum outer and morta inner on the Calabash?
That's quite a pipe!
Morta would probably block any coloration, right?
jay-roger.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
No, the smoke still gets into the chamber, the gourd on a true Calabash will color over time because it absorbs moisture, tars etc. well so won’t the Meerschaum gourd just take longer.

banjo

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
How is that meer/morta calabash smoking, anyway? I *really* wanted to keep that thing for myself at the time, given my predilection for unusually engineered pipes, but alas, rent had to be paid.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Thankfully I paid my house off in 1994 so I don’t have any rent just everyday dammit bills. It is a joy to smoke, it turns heads, which pipe smoking tends to do around here anyway, in fact I had a woman stop next to me walking home from my acupuncture session and he daughter asked if she could take a photo of me smoking my pipe. I told her I wasn’t a really interesting subject are you sure you want to take a photo? She said yes, it’s part of her art class to take photos of local subjects,where you may be visiting, so I,let her pose me as she wanted and click I was emblazoned in the netherworld with my pipe. I could just envision they selling T-shirts with me smoking my pipe on it with the words Grandma went to Maine and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Oh, got carried away Trever, does nobody gets it until they fight over it at the estate sale help answer the question? Cheers.

banjo

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Your family could likely sell tickets to your posthumous estate sale on here, banjo.
But, let's not rush things... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
That's great to hear. Every new pipe is always the favorite pipe while it's new, but I've always been more interested in whether my stuff keeps on performing well over the long haul - I actually prefer hearing how a pipe is doing five years after purchase to five days after purchase.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I've got one pipe Trever made me on commission many years ago - it's in my avatar (Called the Cote Sauvage: http://www.talbertpipes.com/gallery/2003.shtml#). It's a work of art and he was a super swell guy to work with.
I did purchase one other pipe from him for Halloween - it is a Clay Skull pipe that I ordered from him while he was in France. Don't recall who made it but it was not Trevor....it was someone he knew.
As I have said in another post, Trever Talbert is a carver very much worth adding to a collection. He has a very distinctive style, and he has been in the business long enough to be expert. Distinctive style is important to me; some guys have it....many (bordering on most) do not. Trever always has. He had a website many years ago that featured more of his early work: it was brilliant. I also think Roush, Heeschen, Negoita and Purdy are distinctive. Larry is still active, Rolando less so at the moment, and the others can be found even un-smoked on the estate market.
I rarely buy a pipe anymore because I have enough of them but I always look at Trevers site updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.