PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Warren is right, before too long it will be second nature to quickly pack and light without having to give it much thought.
Even after all these years I occasionally get a less than perfect pack. But a quick adjustment with the tamper and it's good to go.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Once you figure out the loading process it'll become "quick and dirty", second nature to you and you won't have to spend "smoking time" getting it just right. There's a bit of a learning curve but, you'll soon have a handle on it. Good luck!
^^^^
This

It'll get to a point that a couple of seconds is all you need to have it packed and lit.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
also getting a good char light so that it’ll create a good ember
^ This. Too often beginners never get the pipe going properly at the start and then complain that they can't keep it lit. We experienced smokers may be partly to blame because we preach about not getting the pipe too hot, which makes the beginners gun shy. You are wise to get a good ember established and then you're off to the races.

john3music

Lurker
Jan 31, 2024
Waco, Texas
john3music.com
Warren is right, before too long it will be second nature to quickly pack and light without having to give it much thought.
Even after all these years I occasionally get a less than perfect pack. But a quick adjustment with the tamper and it's good to go.
Yeah it’s hit or miss. Some days I get perfection. Other I’m like a drunk clown at a circus lol. I figure if I can get into a good rhythm of doing things right so the correct procedures become second nature it’ll become second nature like you said. Sometimes I get sloppy.

john3music

Lurker
Jan 31, 2024
Waco, Texas
john3music.com
^ This. Too often beginners never get the pipe going properly at the start and then complain that they can't keep it lit. We experienced smokers may be partly to blame because we preach about not getting the pipe too hot, which makes the beginners gun shy. You are wise to get a good ember established and then you're off to the races.
Yup. I’ll get the pipe puffing just enough to think it’s going but it’s only half lit and then it snowballs from there.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Yup. I’ll get the pipe puffing just enough to think it’s going but it’s only half lit and then it snowballs from there.
I second that...still happens to me way more often than it should. Just absent-mindedness, I suppose. But get it going real good, and it truly is magical. A healthy ember is a happy ember.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I was truly bedazzled when I learned to get that ember going properly from the beginning.
It was like: "How could I have been overlooking that?"

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
gotta to love when you get a good ember on the first match.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I really enjoy taking my time also while prepping the bowl, tobacco, lighting and smoking.

There are all types of smokers. Some who just want to get a lit pipe in their mouth and go about their business and others that will purposefully take their time as a ritual. I mostly fall in the later and when I can’t take my time, then I don’t smoke at all.