PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Agree with Igloo. Luxury Navy Flake is one of my faves when in the mood for some manner of a fairly straight VA. Smoked a bowl yesterday and it was outstanding.
All fo the Stokkebye stuff and the entire Luxury line stands up with the ultra premium blends I've smoked and the price is amazingly reasonable.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I think Im gonna save up some funds for the Columbus show. It'll be my first opportunity to really see tobaccos and smell them before buying. Is it fairly priced at those kinds of gatherings?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I just received 4 tins of Caminetto Lombardo! They may be the last 4 tins in the country since they were discontinued. Apparently I'm the only one who likes it.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Lately, I've been smoking the new McClelland club blends and the old Ashton blends that are now back in production. So far I've smoked Wilderness, Legends, Nocturne, Cyprian Star and Black Parrot. They are all good, but the winner for me, so far is the Black Parrot. The half kilo, for the cellar arrives tomorrow. This blend is the rocking chair on the shores of the sea of complexity, for me. There are more tins I've yet to open, but these will get smoked before I open more.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A couple of these are ones I herd of around here I wanted to give a shot. I went on a bit of an aromatic spree since right now all I have are English and Scottish blends. Plus I'm just plain running out of tobacco.
1 tin G.L. Pease Union Square

1 tin McCelland Mellow Mack

4oz Peter Stokkebye Highland Whiskey(thought I try after good reviews here)

4oz Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake

4oz G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake

4oz G&H Rum Flake

2oz McCelland #700 Baklava

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Nice!
I "splurged" yesterday on a single tin of Solani Virginia Flake 633. I contemplated getting a 100g tin of Erinmore Flake, but I chickened out. It ended well, though, the Solani's a winner! Just need to figure out how to pack it. I'll get that Erinmore someday...
Simon

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
2 tins of MC Samovar.
It smells delightful. I think I'm gonna turn out to be a big fan of orientals and light balkans.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
If you like Orientals. One of the best I have ever smoked is P.S. English Oriental Supreme.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ Classicgeek: I love 633 and smoke it in every state from whole to fully rubbed. Here is a favourite packing method: Use an average to small bowled pipe. slice the flake down to a size that is about 3/4 the height of your chosen tobacco chamber. Now fold that flake lenght wise so that it is basically 2 flake thick strip with an over all height that is about 3/4 the height of your tobacco chamber. Now roll that strip up like a sleeping bag till the roll is slightly less than the diameter of your tobacco chamber. Stuff this rolled plug into your pipe, top off with some old dry tobacco dust to encourage ignition, char, sit back, relax, and get ready for an hour or longer smoke. I hope the photo link works. Not the highest quality but you get the picture.
Cheers.
Ohin3

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Ohin3

Please see next post for picture of packing method...on the bright side, I now know how to post pictures he he he.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
(Possible duplicate post. The original flew off into lala land.)
@ohin3
Canada Phil, that's a great tip. I would never have thought to fold-roll-and-stuff a flake. I'm gonna try it ASAP. You should add this post as a comment to Bob Tate's (python) excellent tutorial on the Flake Pipe Tobacco Preparation .

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the insights on packing the flake, ohin3! I'll see if this will work.
My local tobacconist has a good selection of Solani blends, so I imagine I will try most of them in time.
Simon

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I haven't smoked many of their blends, but the ones I have were all top notch. 633 is one of my desert island smokes. The Vas are bright and sweet and the perique is just the right amount of spice. I haven't smoked Esoterica's Dorchester in a while, but that will change as soon as my Smokingpipes package arrives. It is surely in contention for the va/per desert island tobacco spot. If 633 gets your attention, try Dorchester.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Crap...now I'm obsessing over memories of what Dorchester tastes like. It's Vas are top notch for sure, but their dose of perique is a bit more attention getting than 633. After smoking about a third of the bowl you are left with a mouth wateringly soft sweet Va flavour in your mouth, nose, hair, eyes...it pretty much swallows your entire head. Then just when you think the smoke is going to be pleasant but one dimensional, as if on a fuse, the perique goes off ! ! ! The smoke gets more and more spicy as it goes on. The kind of spicey that when you blow an entire mouth full of smoke through your nose, it makes your eyes water for a few seconds. Just about the time you are ready to say the spice is too over the top and that you need to put the pipe down...it is just starting to near it's end. It never heats up and it never seems to bite me, but I smoke my Vas slowly. When I walk away from a bowl of Dorchester I feel like I was just in a fight, but in a good way ha ha ha. My eyes are all bleary and watery and the nicotine has me a bit buzzy, but that warm toasty, sugary Va flavour is still wrapped firmly around my senses. Good god I can't wait for that package.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
LOL.
You should write ad copy. Now I'm counting the time until tonight when I can have my pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.