PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I don't consider port to be a red wine, though varieties of port can be made from red wine as a base. However, if you are prepared to go to a fortified wine, then yes, there are many delicious ports that you may love if you can handle the high alcohol content.
There are red ice wines. Indeed, a cabernet franc ice wine made locally where I live in Niagara is one of my favourites - a little less sweet than ice wine made from white grapes, like Vidal, and very complex.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Unknown to may Georgian Wines (Former Soviet State) is one of the oldest growing regions in the world and there wines are classified as sweet, semi-sweet, semi-dry, dry, fortified and sparkling. The semi-sweet varieties are the most popular.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Try "Apothic Red". It is a blended wine, to be sure, but is sweet without being overbearing.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I was just at a port tasting last night, and I highly recommend Taylor Fladgate 20 yr tawny port.

Tawny ports are very nice, especially the Taylor Fladgate, but sometimes a bit pricey. I suggest grabbing a nice tawny for special times and a decent ruby for other times. A few great tawnys are The Taylor Fladgate (especial the 1992 vintage if you can find it), the Penfold's Grandfather tawny from Australia, or Cockburn's Late Bottle Vintage. I seem to have peasant tastes as my favorite port is the most common. Warre's Warrior in my opinion is one of the best ports on the market. Its my go-to relax drink of choice.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I seem to have peasant tastes as my favorite port is the most common. Warre's Warrior in my opinion is one of the best ports on the market. Its my go-to relax drink of choice.
I love this, but can't often get it. First tasted it when Tesco had it on offer at £6 a litre! They haven't stocked it since. My other go to would be Cockburns Special Reserve. Nice and sweet and lovely with a pipe in the evening. Nothing wrong with peasant taste :)

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Petes03, the Hattaras Red is a Muscadine wine, and the good thing is they now ship to TN. and at $7.99 a bottle, I'll be ordering a case very shortly.
Tom

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks Buz! I might have to try that. We actually have several vineyards and wineries in our area which produce some good muscadine wines. There's also a winery in north GA, I believe, which makes some good red, white and blush wines, although it's name escapes me.
I just never did care as much for regular "grape" wines. My mother used to work for a local billionaire (who's name I won't mention), and he often let me sample some VERY expensive wines, many of which I did not care for. Although, there were a few which were exceptional.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Tn has some very good winerys, I live less than a 1/4 mile from Crown Winery, but the Duplin Winery Hatteras Red is still my favorite.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.