PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The Britwood swan neck "thing" started in the 1930's, when high level craftsmanship and the "streamline moderne" aesthetic converged.

Mostly found on billiards and billiard variants, but occasionally on Rhodesians.

They've become increasingly prized by pipe buyers in general (collectors have always jumped on them), which has made good specimens expensive.

Too pricey for me, anyway.

But I always loved 'em, so finally just said, "What the hell" the other day and made one. puffy

P1070033.jpg
P1070036.jpg

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Wow, George. That's so smooth and classy! I appreciate the way you bevel and soften the shape of the bit. I have a couple where the angles of the bit (on the stummel side) are sharper. Yours look much more comfortable.

Reactions: BenMN

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have wondered whether or not you ever made a pipe. I've been here reading the forums now since 2014, and I've seen what you're capable of, Geo. You're an incredible craftsman who's attention to detail is astounding.

The closest pipe I have to that swan neck shape is a B. Barling & Sons 4065. It was made in Denmark, so, I assume it came from Nording's factory.

As with Jim Cooke, you've repaired 'em all and know their guts. If this is YOUR first pipe, I wouldn't be surprised that you'd tackle one of the most difficult if not the most difficult shape to conquer, master, replicate, or produce. That's a really nice pipe ya got there!

Reactions: BenMN

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
George has made several pipes, many of which I e seen, but I have to say that this one is my favorite of all of them. The organic, flowing curves are jaw dropping. George has been admiring the curvature of pipes like the Viscount Lascelles, among others, and it really shows with this one. If there were s waiting list for one of these I would be first in line.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Wow. I didn't realize the "shape love" was so prevalent. :) I thought it was a hardcore collector Thing.

The visual magic happens when the stem is pushed to its limit in both size and bend but absolutely no further. Teetering on the brink of cartoonish---one step more and it would fall off the edge---but it never does no matter the viewing angle. Seriousness and dignity prevails.

As for how many pipes I've made, it's six or seven. Quinton Wells and I were going to team up to make lots of 'em in 2012 but it never happened for an assortment of reasons, and I still have some briar blocks from the project in a box under a desk.

Once in a while the urge strikes and I give it a go.

Here's a 90-degree side shot of the swanny I meant to include. Always the benchmark viewing angle when assessing line. (Oblique shots are sexier but less useful)

P1070031.jpg