PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
it is the epidemy of the aromatic.
Dave, I gotta disagree with you there (of course no offense is meant). From my perspective, I think this type of tobacco is what turns many off from aromatics. It is by far the goopiest, wettest tobacco I've ever tried.
When I smoke the aros made by Wilke and even Newminster - I never run into this issue. Molte Dolce actually saturated my bowl - even left a tiny puddle after just a few puffs (which is why I had to wipe it out).
Of course many people absolutely love this blend, so YMMV (as Roth likes to say). And while I am not saying I am "right" and those who love it are "wrong", I personally find it pretty much impossible to smoke as it is.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Not offended, I don't make the stuff just smoke it. I actually have a pipe dedicated to Molto, and at the end of the day after I clean it, the bowl looks like all of my other pipes inside. I get what you are saying, it is goopy, but to me that translates as yummy. At least for Molto. I have smoked or tried to smoke many other aros that were wet or mediciny if I can use the word, very unappealing, that ghosted my bowl in an unpleasant way. I haven't had a negative experience like that with Molto. Goopy, messy, wet yes, but no negative ghosting.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Smoking some MD right now in an old Navigator Canadian. It had sat in its original plastic cover tin that I'd opened a few times. Multiple relights at first after a "loose pack" of a half bowl, but after that, stayed lit just fine.
Yes, needs extensive drying, but the wait results in a smooth, flavorful smoke with a delightful room note that might bring back memories of Botticelli's pipe babes. :puffy:

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I have to agree with Dave. Yes, MD is certainly goopy and wet but the difference between it and other aromatics that are goopy and wet is that MD delivers the flavor and the others usually don't. Also, the other goopy aros that I have tried would burn like the dickens. I have never had that problem with MD. It does sizzle and pop when first lit but once I tamp it after the first light, all is fine. It had always burned to the bottom of the bowl and not left anything in the way of a mess. I will admit that at first I didn't know what to make of it being so wet either, but I gave it a try and found that it smokes great for me. I have found it to be the exception to the pinch test rule. Of course, as has already been mentioned, YMMV.

motie2

Lurker
Mar 31, 2015
30 minutes west of Manhattan
Molto Dolce mixed 50/50 with Maple Street (both by Sutliff). Best Aromatic I've ever encountered. Goot tasting, great smelling, NO BITE. The Maple Street takes the "goopiness" out of the mixture and leaves you with an easy to light/easy to keep lit experience. I began pipe smoking in 1964, quit in 1986 and just a year ago took it up again. After reading many reviews I would up a Molto Dolce/Maple Street fan, after a history of smoking only English blends.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
The only problem I have experienced with Molto Dolce is that as I was smoking it a beautiful, sexy, scantily-clad Italian woman (see image below) stopped me on the street, raved about its aroma, begged to taste it, and then proceeded to hijack my pipe! Imagine that!! :)
th

Status
Not open for further replies.