PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Lane MV1000, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, Sutliff EMP match, Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia and Two Friends English Chocolate are some nicely crafted non burley blends you may want to consider.
MV1000 is an all day smoke for me!
Based on searching through the 180 blends I have on hand.
Using a spreadsheet I built to track and characterise based on components, flavorings and my personal experience with each.
I've had a lot of those but I'm looking for a replacement for those two and I cant find them.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I ordered Autumn Evening the other day, it'll be here tomorrow. I did not know SPC had that search option. I was going to Pipes & Cigars. I'll check it out, thank you!
I don’t mean to discourage you, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope for Autumn Evening. Cornell & Diehl is the House of Burley; it’s a rare C&D blend that doesn’t include that leaf.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've had a lot of those but I'm looking for a replacement for those two and I cant find them.
Don’t expect to find exact duplicates of those blends from other manufacturers.

But, also, it’s not reasonable to expect a very close copy if the blends are based on different leaf. They will inherently taste different. If the “replacements” you’re trying don’t include burley, then there’s no way they’ll taste the same or deliver the same smoking experience as a burley-based blend. That would be like expecting a ham sandwich made with whole-wheat bread to taste the same as a sandwich made with sourdough.

Frankly, if you cannot tolerate burley in any quantity at all, I think you’re going to need to consider focusing more on straight Virginias and on true English blends. There are some “crossover” English/aromatics that also might be smokeable for you, but a fairly safe rule-of-thumb is that if it has added flavorings it’s likely to include burley.

Last edited:

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Don’t expect to find exact duplicates of those blends from other manufacturers.

But, also, it’s not reasonable to expect a very close copy if the blends are based on different leaf. They will inherently taste different. If the “replacements” you’re trying don’t include burley, then there’s no way they’ll taste the same or deliver the same smoking experience as a burley-based blend. That would be like expecting a ham sandwich made with whole-wheat bread to taste the same as a sandwich made with sourdough.

Frankly, if you cannot tolerate burley in any quantity at all, I think you’re going to need to consider focusing more on straight Virginias and on true English blends. There are some “crossover” English/aromatics that also might be smokeable for you, but a fairly safe rule-of-thumb is that if it has added flavorings it’s likely to include burley.
Yeah I know just close is okay with me.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I be

I believe that is Burley. I could be wrong, but I think in some stores its sold as Scotty's Trout Stream but it's the same thing from Hearth & Home renamed. It's listed as same ingredients but specifically says the Cavendish is Burley.
Sorry, your right it's made with burley, but it's not harsh and to be honest I don't taste the burley.

Reactions: Coreios

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
Maybe check out GH&C American Cherry Vanilla. It’s an aromatic that I really enjoy. I used the search filter on the SPC site that another forum member mentioned earlier, excluding Burley, and it can through as an option. Maybe it will work for you as you look for something to replace CBRM. Good luck.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Maybe check out GH&C American Cherry Vanilla. It’s an aromatic that I really enjoy. I used the search filter on the SPC site that another forum member mentioned earlier, excluding Burley, and it can through as an option. Maybe it will work for you as you look for something to replace CBRM. Good luck.
Thanks!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
That SmokingPipes filter is really cool, but it's only as good as the input data. In many cases, not all the components in a blend are listed, so the Exclude feature results should be taken with a grain of salt.

I would take your candidates from the search results and double-check on the manufacturer's website or TobaccoReviews to see if burley is lurking in them. 👍

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
That SmokingPipes filter is really cool, but it's only as good as the input data. In many cases, not all the components in a blend are listed, so the Exclude feature results should be taken with a grain of salt.

I would take your candidates from the search results and double-check on the manufacturer's website or TobaccoReviews to see if burley is lurking in them. 👍
I was skeptical, too…but I couldn’t find a single review that mentioned burley, GH’s own material mentions only Virginias, and the reported nicotine strength of the blend (very low/mild) suggests to me that either the burley content is very low or nonexistent.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America

Thats solid advice man thanks.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm looking for something that taste as close to Sutliff Molto Dolce as possible and Cult Blood Red Moon. Any suggestions? It can not include Burley though which everything I've tried to find says Burley or doesn't taste the same. Thanks.
Without any burley in the blend you're going to have a very tough time.

So let's try a different avenue. What about those blends are you liking? The vanilla or cherry flavors or more the addition of a flavor to tobacco in general?

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Without any burley in the blend you're going to have a very tough time.

So let's try a different avenue. What about those blends are you liking? The vanilla or cherry flavors or more the addition of a flavor to tobacco in general?
I like the cherries in the Cult, in the other I get coconut. I bought Sutliff Coconut and it's very similar to me. I have Vanilla stuff and it doesn't taste like Molto to me.

Reactions: shanez

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I like the cherries in the Cult, in the other I get coconut. I bought Sutliff Coconut and it's very similar to me. I have Vanilla stuff and it doesn't taste like Molto to me.
Without burley being involved I can't think of anything that will produce the body of smoke those blends have which will also affect the taste.

I will however recommend a few blends I like that you might at least enjoy:

Dan Tobacco - Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
Capstan - Gold (Flake or Ready Rubbed)
GH&C - Scotch Flake

All should get you around the burley issue. Both the SVH and Gold are best smoked cool where you get most of the flavor. The Scotch Flake is a different animal even from what you're asking about as it's chocolate but it does have a nice body to the smoke which you might really enjoy.

Hope that helps.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I haven't had GH broken Flake 7, or Lane 1Q. I could be wrong, but I don't think Sutliff Cream Brulee is the same. Sutliff Coconut Almond is, but it has Burley and I think the Cream Brulee does too. Ive had a lot of English blends, the only ones that made my mouth swell had Burley in them too.
Molto Dulce is Creme Brulee in bulk. I know this because I've smoked both, and the man who created it, Sutliff's retired master blender, Carl McAllister, confirmed it for me when I asked him about it.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Molto Dulce is Creme Brulee in bulk. I know this because I've smoked both, and the man who created it, Sutliff's retired master blender, Carl McAllister, confirmed it for me when I asked him about it.
Thanks! I have a Burley allergy but honestly thats one I like enough to deal with it occasionally. Definitely gonna stock up on it then.

Reactions: JimInks